High sugars Post walk

AnnM99

Hi.
Utterly confused.
I tested 4.3 tonight bebore dinner. Then ate a roast pork dinner with 4 roast pots, veg and gravy. I took 1000mg of metformin. Admittedly, it was a good size dinner. After it, I went for a 30 minute quick walk. When I got back, I tested and was 10.2. Never experienced this before. Now stopped to 6.2. Should I be concerned.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Well the 4 roast potatoes obviously stand out as the possible reason, then there's the veg. You don't mention what veg you had, above ground leafy greens are ok but root vegetables like carrots and parsnips can be quite carby. Then there's your walk, if it was as you say a quick one sometimes strenuous exercise can cause the liver to release some stored glucose, so that's a possible reason. The other thing that comes to mind is did you do a retest when you saw the 10.2 ? It could easily have been a faulty strip or maybe something on your fingers that caused a high reading

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
Utterly confused.
I tested 4.3 tonight bebore dinner. Then ate a roast pork dinner with 4 roast pots, veg and gravy. I took 1000mg of metformin. Admittedly, it was a good size dinner. After it, I went for a 30 minute quick walk. When I got back, I tested and was 10.2. Never experienced this before. Now stopped to 6.2. Should I be concerned.

Hi there, from what you say you ate your dinner and immediately went for a walk, then tested when you got home, which would have been around an hour or so after your dinner? If so, it's likely your levels were on the rise right at that time, if not at the peak of the rise because of the food you ate. Then they've come down to within 2mmol of your starting point of 4.3. This scenario (including the 10.2) is typical of many people, diabetic or not. Do you normally test after the 1 hour mark?, if not maybe try doing it more often especially after a high carb meal, you may be surprised at the level it can get to prior to returning to normal after 2 hours but of course if you haven't previously tested at that time then it's no wonder you were surprised. No, you don't need to be concerned as you have come down. You might find it useful to pop some other testing times in as an experiment, for example, if I eat a roast dinner, my levels rise at the 1 hour mark, then come down by 2 hours to my starting point....then rise again at hours 3,4 or even 5 hours because of the combination of carbs and fat and remain a point or two higher than normal for several hours after that too. Of course I am an insulin user which impacts it all and I believe you are on gliclazide?, so you must factor that in too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ert

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It sounds pedantic but it is worthwhile recreating the same scenario and removing the potatoes, swapping the potatoes and comparing results. The starch in the potatoes might be a no go area for you. A third test would be to cook the potatoes and let them cool overnight in the fridge, reheat and test in the same meal (resistance starch). A forth test would be to eat the potatoes at the end of the meal - this might be worth a watch:

The Type 2's who say they eat potatoes either eat a very small amount or a brand called spud lite (looks like Australia only) which is lower carb. Personally, I have not touched potatoes in any form for over 5 years, preferring butternut squash (which might still be too starchy for some).

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I went for a 30 minute quick walk. When I got back, I tested and was 10.2.
The same happens to me if I walk “too fast”; it will raise my sugar instead of lowering it, which it does otherwise.

A third test would be to cook the potatoes and let them cool overnight in the fridge, reheat and test in the same meal (resistance starch).
O darn, I was so happy with the little discovery I made this week.

2 Days ago I had semi home made cauliflower brocolli soup that to my surprise spiked my BG 2 points. When I looked at the ingredients from the package it turned out there were more potatoes in there than brocolli or cauliflower. Obviously I want zero food waste so I tried to save the soup by adding 2 eggs and a big chunk of butter. Yesterday I tried it again and it only spiked my BG 0,5 points. I was hoping this was because of the added fat, which would give me a lot of extra food choices.