holidays

martina

Hello,my daughter has been on a pump now for two months and although her sugars can be more stable we are still having alot of problems with highs especially at night.I am also struggling to control the highs now that we are in the holidays and out of our normal routine.Im am finding it all very stressful at the minute.Typically everything seems to go wrong at once and just when I think I have a problem sorted another pops up.At the minute she is always very high at around 5pm,I have made changes to her basals but this has made no difference whatsoever.I can never seem to get the nurse in and at times I think that perhaps the pump isnt for us.I was just wondering how other parents cope during the holidays.

leggott

My son aged 6 has been pumping for about the same time as your daughter. We have set up 2 basal profiles, one for school and one for Sunday's. Depending on his activity level for the day will depend on the setting we have him on. We do notice a big difference in his basal requirements at school when compared to a day just being at home or out and about. If he plays with his friends or attends holiday play schemes, then we keep it in the school day setting which has a low basal programmed from 7.30 - 14.30.

It is hard to get it right. We have done lots of fasting tests and still after a few months we are still tweaking here and there.

Perhaps if you can give some more info on readings throughout the day we may be able to make some suggestions.