How do you get a pump???

emmaLC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm new to this site, I'm a Type 1 diabetic. I inject 6 times a day, i still can not get stable blood sugars, i have 3 boys to look after, I feel burnt out. How can i get a pump please anyone????? what is the criteria i need to meet??? i am desperate and wish to feel normal again :(

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
You first need to show that you can carb count and show that you are testing, and record keeping carbs, doses and how many units you are taking insulin wise. Look at the guide lines set out by Nice and talk to your diabetic team. Pumps aren't an easy option and require an awful lot of hard word, not only that but you won't get one straight away, their's lots of T's to be crossed and i's to be dotted. So if you are told you can have one, it won't happen over night, you may have to wait a while.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also a pump won't necessarily solve your problems, though it could help.

An alternative approach to get your blood sugars stable and avoid the burnout feeling is to significantly reduce the amount of carbs in your diet. There is no waiting list for that! :)

kt78

Look at the Input website,
" INPUT is a UK charity run by insulin pump users and their families with a mission to help people access diabetes technology and support from the NHS – including insulin pump therapy, smart glucose meters and continuous glucose monitoring. We can help you find out what’s available in the UK, if it might help you and how to access it."

www.input.me.uk

Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App