How much carb?

lt1v14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you know in grams how many carbs you should eat at each meal? Then how do you work it out? Is it just by looking at packet? Is there a carb calculator somewhere?
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a daily carb allowance which I try to maintain at 20g
Over the past year I have built up a food diary so that I know what most of the things I eat come in at carb wise.
It's quite surprising how often we have the same things so I reckon after a month you'd have enough to not have to worry too much.
I check on the packet and then weigh what I'm eating (or to be honest more often use the supermarket website to get the carb values). I only have to weigh new items and record them in my spreadsheet diary.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a list of low carb foods in a notebook - it was long before portable electronic devices for such things.
Many foods have the carb count on the label or you can look it up on line - but you need to be aware that US sites include the fibre, which we do not digest, and we need the lower UK values, net carbs without fibre.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you know in grams how many carbs you should eat at each meal? Then how do you work it out? Is it just by looking at packet? Is there a carb calculator somewhere?
Thanks

How many you eat is entirely up to you. There is no set amount. People on here eat anywhere between 20g a day and 150g a day. You can only work out how many your body can cope with by testing. A meter will soon tell you if you breach your personal limit after each meal because your BS will rise too high. Without a meter you are just guessing.

You need to read labels on packets very carefully and work out how many you are likely to be eating by knowing what portion size you want. An item that has has 5g carbs per 100g means that if you eat 400g you will be eating 20g carbs. If you are only going to eat a small spoonful, the carb count is probably insignificant. Sometimes, labels are kind enough to tell us how many grams of carbs there are in a particular serving size as well as per 100g. (sausages for example may say 2g carbs per sausage) If the food is fresh and has no label, Tesco website comes in very useful (or any of the other major supermarket websites) There is also a book (and an app) called Carbs & Cals available from Amazon which is extremely useful and not very expensive.

Reactions: lt1v14