How much weight loss in a week?

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed last week and I got such a fright I immediately went on the low carb diet. I am finding it easy, with lots of help re food on here. I have lost 2.5k or approx 5lbs in a week. I would like to continue this as I have about 4.5 stones to lose! Is this a realistic figure or is it maybe too much? I don't want to end up with loose skin hanging everywhere! I am T2 diet controlled with fasting bg 7.8 and that other HC1 thing at 60.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 5st in just over 18 months .. still have more to loose but have taken a break from loosing to get used to my new size !!
I have not got the saggy skin that you sometimes see on TV with people who have a big weight loss .. I think we are all different and where my skin is still elastic others may not be so lucky. I think you will only find out if your skin will hang after you have lost your weight.

Reactions: 4 people

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 5st in just over 18 months .. still have more to loose but have taken a break from loosing to get used to my new size !!
I have not got the saggy skin that you sometimes see on TV with people who have a big weight loss .. I think we are all different and where my skin is still elastic others may not be so lucky. I think you will only find out if your skin will hang after you have lost your weight.
Well done, Enclave! That's a great achievement. Yes, you are probably right about the loose skin. I am thankfully blessed with good collagen, apparently (whatever that means) so I don't tend to wrinkle. I believe exercising at the gym is supposed to help with the flabby bits! My DN advised not getting into that just yet till my body gets used to the low carbing.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW .. you have a DN who approves of low carbs !!!!!!!! do look after him/her .. my one strongly disapproves ! I built up my exercise slowly and its only walking as I also have heart failure .. I was a bit inactive at the start of my weight loss due to the heart problems and am advised not to use a gym, but if your not risking a heart attack the gym sounds good to keep fit .. but you sound like your going to be fine in the skin department ..fingers crossed for you.. and you will feel so much better when the extra weight has gone :)

When you say low carb .. you are changing all your low fat foods for full fat ones ..?

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I was diagnosed last week and I got such a fright I immediately went on the low carb diet. I am finding it easy, with lots of help re food on here. I have lost 2.5k or approx 5lbs in a week. I would like to continue this as I have about 4.5 stones to lose! Is this a realistic figure or is it maybe too much? I don't want to end up with loose skin hanging everywhere! I am T2 diet controlled with fasting bg 7.8 and that other HC1 thing at 60.
It's not unusual to lose a lot in the first week or two, and some of it is water. I suggest losing at no more than 1-2lb a week as it's more likely to be sustainable and it will be easier on your body. Rapid weight loss increases the risk of gallstones in people who are already at risk of them. I focus more on BG than weight, and the weight seems to take care of itself. Glad you are enjoying your new way of eating! It's really nice, isn't it?

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, Enclave, she didn't exactly say she approved but she said that if that was the route I was taking, to wait a bit before starting exercise other than a brisk walk every day. I'm sorry you have heart failure on top of this. i also have lymphoedema following breast cancer and that's why I am even more determined to beat this. I am indeed eating full fat now - and really enjoying it!

CatLadyNZ, I didn't know that about gallstones. My dad and brother both had their gall bladders removed at age 50 and my sister was 28, and all of them thin as rakes at the time! So I guess I had better take care, I am finding this forum really helpful. Thanks for all your replies!

Reactions: 3 people

Kirkyguy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's only loose skin, nothing compared to illness, go get fit the best you can.im watching re runs of Biggest Loser people are amazing and can do so much more than they think they can... Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It's only loose skin, nothing compared to illness, go get fit the best you can.im watching re runs of Biggest Loser people are amazing and can do so much more than they think they can... Good luck.
I enjoy watching Biggest Loser but I think their weight loss is too fast and I wonder how many of them keep the weight off at 5 years. I guess they have to make it dramatic and exciting, for the camera.