How often?

Donna73

Dislikes
Too much rain
Hi all!

Thank you for all your help so far! However I have more questions I'm afraid.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 last and thanks to everyone on here's help I have managed to keep to a low carb eating plan (no thanks to the doctor/nurse - when trying to book for diabetes nurse receptionist said 'oh your looking at 5 weeks to get you in', I reply 'I need to some help as I have no clue', her reply 'well just on the internet' ..... Gee thanks!!!

Anyway, I have just received my BG meter today and was wondering how often I should test?

My first reading was 6.1 before dinner and 7.5 two hours after. I think that's not bad!?!?

Also, are tinned fruits a good idea or not?

Thanks D x

Donna73

Dislikes
Too much rain
Sorry another question, when looking at food labels what is considered low carb? Thanks again x

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Donna73 said:
Hi all!

Thank you for all your help so far! However I have more questions I'm afraid.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 last and thanks to everyone on here's help I have managed to keep to a low carb eating plan (no thanks to the doctor/nurse - when trying to book for diabetes nurse receptionist said 'oh your looking at 5 weeks to get you in', I reply 'I need to some help as I have no clue', her reply 'well just on the internet' ..... Gee thanks!!! At least the practice had the sense to point you to us :clap:

Anyway, I have just received my BG meter today and was wondering how often I should test? I would start with fasting, pre lunch, pre dinner and before bed to get your pattern plus test foods at +1 Hr and +2 Hr

My first reading was 6.1 before dinner and 7.5 two hours after. I think that's not bad!?!? Not bad for a start :thumbup: , but hopefully you will improve as you take control :thumbup:

Also, are tinned fruits a good idea or not? Not really, Tend to be in fruit juice or worse syrup!

Thanks D x

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Donna73 said:
Sorry another question, when looking at food labels what is considered low carb? Thanks again x

Well I would say low carb is less than around 10g per 100g. Some will tell you a bit more and others a bit less. It does of course also make a big difference how much of something weight wise you end up eating so if something is labelled 10g / 100g and then you eat 500g of it you've eaten 50g of carbs etc. You can work out the total amount of carbs you are eating of any food by dividing the carb content by 100 then multiply by how much you actually eat. So in the example I've written do 10 divide 100 multiply by 500 on a calculator. Do that sum for all the different foods you eat during a day and add up the results. That will tell you your daily grams of carbs. A good value to aim for is around 120g / day to start with but then adjust up or down depending on what your meter is telling you.

Also make sure you always totally and absolutely ignore the "of which sugars" value on labels as its's the total carbohydrate number that counts.

hallii

I find tinned fruit IN IT'S OWN JUICE is not so bad, just don't eat to much, say three slices of peach, two of pear, and so on. NO Juice, no pinapple and no mixed fruit, they cause me to spike.

H

Donna73

Dislikes
Too much rain
Thanks everybody, I don't think I'm ever going to get the hang of it!

Kids had chips today, just wanted to steal the plate off them, lol! x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Donna73 said:
Thanks everybody, I don't think I'm ever going to get the hang of it!

Kids had chips today, just wanted to steal the plate off them, lol! x
Oh I know that feeling :( it can be tortuous at times, I normally nick about 7 or 8 off them before the wife catches me, then my sanity returns or I get a slap. You will get the hand of it, but sometimes you have to use plenty of will power, it ain't easy I know first hand with 4 lads and a house full of sweets.