Hypertension and Blood Pressure Medication

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
My BP this am was 114/58. Twenty years ago I couldn't get it below 155/90.
It took 30 years to find out I have Conn's Syndrome!
atb to you guys with htn.
D.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got some vitamin D3 spray this morning so fingers crossed. Sorry about this being a bit long but it's really helpful for me to write it all down and then if anyone has any suggestions, comments, please let me know!

I'm having a real issue with getting my bp down. Every time I'm tested at the surgery it's high - yesterday it was 145 over 93. I'm on 5mgs of ramipril and just waiting for the electrolytes test results to see if that can be increased. I'm being put on a 24 hour monitor sometime in the next week or so. The worry is that on top of being diabetic, there's a history of high blood pressure and heart disease in the family. My dad died at 50 from a massive heart attack.

And the reason that I found out I was diabetic was a routine over-40's check showed high blood pressure and as part of the monitoring, my sugars were tested. I came back at 93 on my HBa1C. I gave up smoking in May. I don't drink apart from maybe two or three glasses of red wine a week. I have one coffee and maybe two teas a day and don't salt my food. I'm following the LCHF diet and have lost over a stone in two months. My bmi is 28 so I know there's a way to go with that. My bg is starting to stabilise with a 30 day average of 8.8, down from around 16 when I started. I feel ok, get lots of exercise, walking at least 10,000 steps a day but I'm banned from the gym because I had a funny turn there and they need a letter from my GP to let me go back which she says won't happen until my bp is under better control. When I spoke to her yesterday, it seems like it's the blood pressure that is the priority. She is quite supportive of the LCHF approach and she said I seem to be handling things ok on the diabetes front.

Given that I'm doing all the things that you are supposed to do, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the elevated BP is inevitable given my genetics. However there is the whole area of stress and how I manage it. I am a worrier and my anxiety has caused me problems in the past. The GP didn't seem too bothered about it but maybe it's the next area to try and address. It doesn't help that I've been on a roller coaster since diagnosis especially with the retinopathy in both eyes. I'm doing a mindfulness course to help with stress and the meditation seems to work but it's only for 15 minutes a day!

And on top of everything on Monday I'm on 6 months redundancy notice - not a massive shock but still quite bad timing! So any advice, suggestions, let me know.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Annie,
You have a lot going on, try to deal with one thing at a time. Your doing the right thing getting your weight down and your BP could be OK at home on a 24hour monitor.
Try to keep your salt intake in food, not just on food, to c.3gms/day.
All the exercise you do should be a big help.
best wishes
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people