Hypoglycaemia reversed

rosie04

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Very excited to say that my hypoglycaemia has reversed after treatment for my stomach infections! I can now eat bread, oats, rice, fruit occasional sugary treat ect. I thought this could be useful info incase SIBO is a causing factor for anyone else’s hypoglycaemia. I was originally intolerant to carbs and would very rapidly shoot up and then plummet low, now the rise and fall is far slower and I don’t seem to go low. I am running, horse riding, going to the gym and long walks no problem- this would have been impossible before as I would just go low and I had very little energy. Worked with a gut doctor and decided to go down the route of more gentle / natural antibiotics as they’re less likely to agitate my gut flora even more by wiping out the remaining good bacteria! As well as this I have been taking the HU58 probiotic along with a few other supplements; the SIBO caused vitamin deficiencies due to malabsorption which explains some of my other symptoms. The “natural” antibiotics did work, it just took a while to see progress so a bit of a waiting game. Everything was very gradual, especially with what foods I could tolerate.

Even though I have reintroduced carbs into my diet I still tend to opt for slow release or pair them with a protein or fat source in attempts to continue keep things steady. My original very low carb diet was hard, but necessary at the time and would have also helped to starve off some of the bad bacteria.

I had hydrogen dominant SIBO so it was easy to tell how much of it I had left via breath testing. I’ve attached screenshots of my original breath test and more recent! SIBO has only just become recognised by the NHS and is not too understood, the effect it had on me was awful to the point I had to drop out of uni for a year! they can test for it via breath test.

Personally I had to go down the private healthcare route since I was very ill and wasn’t getting any help from the NHS. I’d urge anyone struggling with digestive discomfort alongside their hypoglycaemia to consider doing the same if possible.

Hope this could all be useful information for someone, sending my best wishes and happy to answer any questions :))

IMG_4014.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
route of more gentle / natural antibiotics as they’re less likely to agitate my gut flora even more by wiping out the remaining good bacteria!
What did you use?

I read quite a bit about SIBO in various books but I thought it wasn't recognised at all here in UK. Teh resolution seems to be to build a good gut health

rosie04

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you use?

I read quite a bit about SIBO in various books but I thought it wasn't recognised at all here in UK. Teh resolution seems to be to build a good gut health

Hi, I took garlic allicin and biocidin capsules. Originally took ParaBotanic Select but it really didn’t agree with me so I switched to the biocidin! Apparently the parabotanic select doesn’t usually cause reactions though and is pretty effective! I did also have to take antacids to let my stomach heal as there was a bit of damage, presumably caused by the SIBO. I’d get a painful burning sensation when eating!

rosie04

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
What amazing news!

Even my gut doctor had only ever had one other case of hypoglycaemia in his patients with gut problems and said he couldn’t guarantee mine would reverse after treatment, so I am pretty surprised by how well it has gone! Crazy how it can affect the endocrine system and I think it’s quite unusual for SIBO to present in the way it did for me.

Reactions: Antje77

rosie04

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_5658.jpg

the little peak is my porridge I had for breakfast :)) I used to shoot up to 9, 10 or sometimes even 11 mmol/L very quickly with the exact same portion size and then usually go hypoglycaemic (3 / 2 mmol/L) pretty rapidly following that! Obviously sugar rising quickly is normal with carbohydrates but it was the way it would fall so low that was abnormal. Very strange malabsorption must’ve been going on, we’re thinking leaky gut could have been involved but that’s just a theory! As things seem to have calmed, i’m not reliant on libres anymore, but occasionally wear one to check how everything is / see what foods I can tolerate.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow!
Very excited to say that my hypoglycaemia has reversed after treatment for my stomach infections! I can now eat bread, oats, rice, fruit occasional sugary treat ect. I thought this could be useful info incase SIBO is a causing factor for anyone else’s hypoglycaemia. I was originally intolerant to carbs and would very rapidly shoot up and then plummet low, now the rise and fall is far slower and I don’t seem to go low. I am running, horse riding, going to the gym and long walks no problem- this would have been impossible before as I would just go low and I had very little energy. Worked with a gut doctor and decided to go down the route of more gentle / natural antibiotics as they’re less likely to agitate my gut flora even more by wiping out the remaining good bacteria! As well as this I have been taking the HU58 probiotic along with a few other supplements; the SIBO caused vitamin deficiencies due to malabsorption which explains some of my other symptoms. The “natural” antibiotics did work, it just took a while to see progress so a bit of a waiting game. Everything was very gradual, especially with what foods I could tolerate.

Even though I have reintroduced carbs into my diet I still tend to opt for slow release or pair them with a protein or fat source in attempts to continue keep things steady. My original very low carb diet was hard, but necessary at the time and would have also helped to starve off some of the bad bacteria.

I had hydrogen dominant SIBO so it was easy to tell how much of it I had left via breath testing. I’ve attached screenshots of my original breath test and more recent! SIBO has only just become recognised by the NHS and is not too understood, the effect it had on me was awful to the point I had to drop out of uni for a year! they can test for it via breath test.

Personally I had to go down the private healthcare route since I was very ill and wasn’t getting any help from the NHS. I’d urge anyone struggling with digestive discomfort alongside their hypoglycaemia to consider doing the same if possible.

Hope this could all be useful information for someone, sending my best wishes and happy to answer any questions :))

View attachment 66826View attachment 66827
I am so happy for you never heard of SIBO. Though I have heard and had gut issues, bacteria and the anti biotic to help with the bacteria.
I am now going to Google it all.
Really pleased for you.
I hope more endos and the healthcare industry start using this as a diagnostic tool.
Excellent news.

Reactions: Antje77