Improving diet and lifestyle and reducing hypos and hypers

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
From personal experience, if I go low enough I become irrational, and don't necessarily believe I'm low, let alone have the wherewithal to find/recognise glucose.
Made me smile - I remember those days too - gawd I must have been a b*gger to live with (apparently thats true whenever I riminess with the wife on improvements).

Irrational - hell yes, refusing to get a hypo treatment as "I'm ok...OK" and on very extreme lows - no idea where to get food (thankfully now years in the past)

Biggest help for me was BG on my watch (always on face) so my wife could tell me I was dropping - and alarms set high enough to do something about it when I was still 'human'.

I can still experience lows - but nothing like the past - roll on better tech and better control systems :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you doing all this with the help of the DSN @ConcernedRelative?
It seems that you’re undertaking a crash course in Type One management and it would be good to have your father’s medical team on board to answer queries and give advice.
For instance, does your father wait until his readings are at a certain level before he eats carbs? (For me, if I’m above 8 when eating carbs I’ve injected for will usually make my readings rise much higher, but we’re all different.)
I can also empathise with your father’s apparent anger about the demands of Type One. Type One is a 24/7 lifelong sentence. There’s no escape.
And yes, low blood sugars do cause confusion: the brain, like the rest of the body, needs glucose plus oxygen to provide the energy required to function. Without enough glucose executive functions decline. Too much glucose clogs up veins, capillaries and arteries.
Blood sugars that are too high or too low can also affect emotions and behaviour.
Hi , & thanks (everyone!)
the DSN is engaged, I've just pinged her a q about reducing evening insulin, and made her aware of what's been happening.. she does get in touch when I reach out, but it's impossible to overstate how challenging he is as a patient, and I'm appreciative of how busy she must be, now her team consists of just two. Also I fear she doesn't get all the intel.

---

Dad usually eats "when he can" , governed mainly by

- what he thinks he can stomach , re appetite
(breakfast always weetabix and fruit, and late imho, and ready meal in evenings... lunch is variable, not always Consumed)
- when he thinks he should eat (think he'll delay eating if having highs, tryingto reduce, usually by smoking)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_104926_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_104926_Gmail.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 12
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Made me smile - I remember those days too - gawd I must have been a b*gger to live with (apparently thats true whenever I riminess with the wife on improvements).

Irrational - hell yes, refusing to get a hypo treatment as "I'm ok...OK" and on very extreme lows - no idea where to get food (thankfully now years in the past)

Biggest help for me was BG on my watch (always on face) so my wife could tell me I was dropping - and alarms set high enough to do something about it when I was still 'human'.

I can still experience lows - but nothing like the past - roll on better tech and better control systems :)
Thanks for this Validation!!
Faith in tech reaffirmed, alarm thresholds (and evening amplitude) being adjusted!

- I overslept this morning after a late night, and just asked dad what his morning reading was, and he hadn't checked it yet*, so I wonder if there's data loss if sensor only retains 8 hours of data. Also plan to increase the alarms... sadly that email I sent went to the wrong lady, so still need to reach out to DSN to get some guidance and give insights.

*The reading was around 5.

- My dad used to have a watch, but the strap broke. I wonder if a smartwatch could be good for him, but assume he'd need a phone with the app installed on, so maybe just the same is my mum having the librelinkup app on her phone (which is always in her hand, unless it's on charge).

Last edited: