Induction plan advice please

ChiefScruff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic, 36 weeks pregnant with my second baby. Had gestational diabetes with my first daughter 4 years ago so everything has been different and I'm getting a bit anxious. Feel like some of my doctors would just like me to do what I'm told and not ask too many questions.

I've been told to have a sweep at 38 weeks and been booked in for an induction at 39 weeks if the sweep does not start the labour off.

I'm worried about going into labour at home following the sweep because 1) I might not realise I'm in labour until the last minute - I was 9cm dialated in hospital before it was obvious last time. 2) I'm not sure I will be able to manage my blood sugars myself, in hospital the doctors have said i will need to be on an insulin drip to manage them.

Also everything I have read says I should deliver my baby before 38+6 and my induction is booked for after this time.

I'm thinking of refusing the sweep and asking them to bring my induction forwards by a week. That way I will be in hospital and not leave until my baby is safely born.

Any advice gratefully received. xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ChiefScruff dont be too anxious won't be good for baby!
I was induced the first time but had to have emergency section as I had pre eclampsia. I was really worried that my twins would decide to come early and I would go into natural labour. In the end I had a section at 35w with no sign of natural labour. I was pumping for both and was adamant I didn't want to go on a sliding scale because I felt I knew much more about managing diabetes than midwives who hadn't even seen an insulin pump. I was told both times I would be induced around 38w as diabetic placentas age faster.
I'm sure there are other ladies that can offer better advice about being in labour but if you try to manage your sugars as well as poss in the meantime. It's your birth so make sure you are comfortable with what's happening. Try and rest as much as you can with a 4 yr old xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ps be prepared for sugars to plummet immediately after birth and lots of hypos x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, as Sarah said, please don't let yourself get anxious it won't help you or baby.
I had my baby at 38+3 but I have read many ladies on here getting induced after that, I think 38w seems to be the average but lots have done it at 39 & 40.

I assume your diabetes team and consultant have been closely monitoring you? If they did not think it was safe for their plan to happen they would change it, however if you are really unhappy with it have you tried speaking to them about this? Don't do something you really don't want to do if it is going to make you more anxious.
I also worried about going into labour and not knowing, didn't happen for me though.
Good luck, let us know how you get on xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ChiefScruff You don't have to have a sweep if you don't want to. Refuse it if you're not happy.

If you're in the UK, induction is recommended for ladies with Type 1 between 37 and 38+6 weeks. That's in the NICE guidlines. You could discuss this with your OB. Ask the reasons for their recommendations.

And remember, they're just that - recommendations. You do not have to 'do what you're told' whether you have diabetes or don't have diabetes. Ask questions (lots!) and make your own decisions based on what you're told.

Don't stress about it. I can't emphasise enough that you're in charge.

ChiefScruff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thank you so so much for the replies. You've given me the confidence to speak with my midwives/ doctors and try to get the plan changed. I really don't want to go into labour at home and have the stress of managing my blood sugar levels and getting to hospital etc. before the baby arrives.

Think I've come to the conclusion that I don't mind so much how they want to start the process but that I want to be admitted to hospital at that point so as soon as anything starts I am there and can be properly monitored. I know lots of people want the least medical intervention possible but, I think for me it makes me feel a bit safer.

I also don't want to spend the next couple of weeks stressing about it constantly.

xx