Injecting Back side area

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where exactly do i inject in the buttocks area? different websites are saying different things.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Google the web for injection site images. You can't guarantee they are all medically recommended but will give you some idea.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I try to use the lower and upper area's, making sure I alternate injection sites, left, right. This is the area I have used at bedtime for 25 years.

Good luck RRB

Reactions: 4 people

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you that site made it more clear
clear.png

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've never used my rear to inject. I do however inject a lot of insulin twice a day and usually rotate around my belly. I inject 52 IU in the morning and 36 IU at dinner and both sting like hell for ages but no bruising. Maybe need some education as I've only had leaflets from my diabetes team on injection sites.

Kelsie

I've been told different sites of the bum by different doctors so I basically inject in the whole of it! It's never affected my sugar levels so I just rotate as much as I can :)

bigmick11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my stomach, I can see exactly where I'm putting the needle in.
I have found putting both the needle and the insulin in very slowly helps, yes sometimes I get real bad stingers and if I do I move to a different site maybe half an inch away can make all the difference.I inject Humalog (60ml) and Humalin1 (55ml) in the morning, Humalog (60ml) lunchtime and teatime and Humalin 1 (55ml) last thing at night.
I hate it when I have to change cartridges half way through, if they run out, I know how a pin cushion feels.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I use my stomach, I can see exactly where I'm putting the needle in.
I have found putting both the needle and the insulin in very slowly helps, yes sometimes I get real bad stingers and if I do I move to a different site maybe half an inch away can make all the difference.
I inject Humalog (55ml) and Humalin1 (60ml) in the morning, Humalin1 (60ml) lunchtime and teatime and Humalog (55ml) last thing at night.
I hate it when I have to change cartridges half way through, if they run out, I know how a pin cushion feels.
I doo 52 units am & 36 pm of Humulin M3. The volume in these jabs is large and get stingers too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Absolutely no probs anywhere on fattiest bit of bum as far as I was concerned for injections.. 28 years doing that.. But cannulas with pump I have to make sure they aren't too close to my hip bones... As I do feel them..

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In terms of injections I use my backside when I'm at home, I just pick a spot and inject I have never lid much attention to exactly where it was. Never had any issues :/

Hope that helps haha

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I use my ass for background insulin jabs, tummy for QA, it's a great expanse of area to work with so doubt i'll ever get lumpy areas !! Never had a problem and also get very little bruising too - not that I look at my ass that much lol !!!!

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my ass for background insulin jabs, tummy for QA, it's a great expanse of area to work with so doubt i'll ever get lumpy areas !! Never had a problem and also get very little bruising too - not that I look at my ass that much lol !!!!

Exactly the same.

My lantus is almost always in my backside, and i rotate my abdomen for my novorapid. Sometimes i use my arm if I have easy access and its only like 0.5 or 1unit, usually corrective doses i go for the arm because it has much less fat, and would absorb faster, which is exactly what i want from a corrective dose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm the same, Levemir in the backside and NovoRapid, legs, arms, but can't use the central stomach area, when out and about I will try to inject in the area to the side of stomach or a little higher up. Anyone tried another site we don't normally use ? just interested :)

RRB :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why don't they show bums as usage areas?

Got my new pump and in the standard manual details of injecting & cannula sites showed everywhere BUT buttocks. Have done probably 95% of all injections injections/cannulas in bum for 30 years and its still perfect. Why do they exclude this area in education manuals etc?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Why don't they show bums as usage areas?

Got my new pump and in the standard manual details of injecting & cannula sites showed everywhere BUT buttocks. Have done probably 95% of all injections injections/cannulas in bum for 30 years and its still perfect. Why do they exclude this area in education manuals etc?

The buttocks are often mentioned in diabetes literature and is also mentioned in the link that I provided earlier in the thread, but I think a lot of people are put off from injecting in the bum as they think it's too difficult, but in reality it's quite simple to do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My picture on my literature only shows sort of the hip area, not all around the bum.. Sorry. Haven't actually seen a lot of diagrams, was just surpised by this one...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The butt area is really easy to do, as we all have some amount of flesh in that area. If I can do, diasabled at the time with the use of one arm, I'm sure anyone can do it and give it a shot :) but only in private and not in the middle of a town center or a football match :p o_O

Best wishes RRB :)