Inset II Problems

nancy57

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Anyone have experience of Inset IIs failing 24 hours after being attached. This is our third occurrence of where my son's BG levels suddenly aren't being corrected following food, once a patch has been for attached about 24 hours. I know you can get dodgy batches, but assumed they wouldn't work straight away if they were going to fail at all.

Other than being tired, he shows no signs of illness, not sure that there is any other reason for his BG levels to be continually rising since lunch.

Any advice appreciated.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has your son been using Inset IIs for a while, and the problem just started, or has he only just started on Inset IIs?

If the 3 dodgy sets are all from the same batch I would call Animas (?) and notify them and get them replaced.

iHs

If you cant see any kink in the cannula when the set is taken out, the high bg is probably due to the basal rate needing to change. If the basal is not right, a correction wont work either. The way to overide things until the bssals are correct again is to increase the correction (I double mine for good measure but thsts me). If the increase in correction works, then its the basal rates that are out so will need to be adjusted.

the other thought is have you changed the area on the body where the set is inserted. If you have, then it might be that the insulin is being absorbed more slowly causing the high bg to be more prominent so go back to original area and insert again to see what happens. If bg goes high, then its the basal.

Reactions: 2 people

nancy57

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies, we have been on the pump since March. As my son is a very slim four year old, we rotate his sites between his thighs and bum and have not had issues with these in the past. As we have been changing sets so often frequently all sites are taking a battering.

Re: Basals etc. My son was diagnosed in Jan, so we are still unsure as to when to change Basals, by how much etc. We do get advice from our DSN so will give her a call today. It is just so frustrating that I cannot say that I've had a week or even a few days that I've had my son's levels have been in the correct zone. There is always something!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Nancy, may I suggest you invest in the book called pumping insulin by John Walsh? The book is known as the pumpers Bible and worth it's weight in gold. It can be found on Amazon. :)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been having trouble with inset IIs recently, as has a friend of mine. A little while ago the insets changed and have become very hard to pull back and just feel cheaper quality. I always ask for one box of pink with my grey so that I have a different batch number to test when issues arise. You could order one box of blue for your son to have as backup.

With regards to your current problem have you got the occlusion sensitivity set to H? Do the sets look ok when you have removed them? Are you also checking for air bubbles forming in tube/reservoir around this time? Are you making sure set is stuck down well as if not it could be coming away 24 hours after and therefore he wouldn't be getting insulin properly. Also is your son very active and could he be knocking set etc?