Insulin, antibiotics & steroids!

motherspride

I was started on insulin February last year as metformin alone wasn’t working. All has been going well and HbA1c was dropping nicely. Around Xmas I had to have antibiotics and two courses of steroids due to a chest infection . Since then my blood sugar levels are too high and my insulin units are rising without blood levels dropping to an acceptable level. I understand that steroids can really mess with diabetes, sugar levels and insulin units, but I’m wondering how long this will last?
I had my diabetic review today but the HCA I saw wasn’t much help! I’ll be speaking to the diabetic nurse in a couple of weeks for test results so I will discuss things with her but I thought I’d ask on here and hope someone can help

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was started on insulin February last year as metformin alone wasn’t working. All has been going well and HbA1c was dropping nicely. Around Xmas I had to have antibiotics and two courses of steroids due to a chest infection . Since then my blood sugar levels are too high and my insulin units are rising without blood levels dropping to an acceptable level. I understand that steroids can really mess with diabetes, sugar levels and insulin units, but I’m wondering how long this will last?
I had my diabetic review today but the HCA I saw wasn’t much help! I’ll be speaking to the diabetic nurse in a couple of weeks for test results so I will discuss things with her but I thought I’d ask on here and hope someone can help
Hi @motherspride , welcome to the forum.
Both steroids and infection (for which you needed the antibiotics) are notorious for raising blood glucose.

Wat kind of numbers are you seeing? Mildly elevated as in low teens or going towards danger territory as in high teens and twenties?
If the latter, you might want to call your diabetes nurse or 111 for urgent advice before your appointment in a couple of weeks.

What insulin are you on, and how have you adjusted your doses? Have you finished the steroids and antibiotics, and when?

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi I also started steroids and antibiotics today. I am a type 2 and sometimes they come up unreadable on my libre sensor. I am also on insulin started this last month

motherspride

Hi @motherspride , welcome to the forum.
Both steroids and infection (for which you needed the antibiotics) are notorious for raising blood glucose.

Wat kind of numbers are you seeing? Mildly elevated as in low teens or going towards danger territory as in high teens and twenties?
If the latter, you might want to call your diabetes nurse or 111 for urgent advice before your appointment in a couple of weeks.

What insulin are you on, and how have you adjusted your doses? Have you finished the steroids and antibiotics, and when?
Hi Antje77 thanks for our reply,
I‘m on Humulin M3 and my numbers have been 5.0 - 8.5. When I started using insulin in February last year I was on 10 units twice a day. The doses went up to 14/16 and that was keeping the numbers steady. I have asthma and still have a cough from when I was ill just before Xmas. I noticed numbers increasing to mid-high teens and then up into the twenties! I dont think I was going high enough when increasing doses (25-30) and went up to 60 units last night resulting in bloods being 8.9 this morning….lowest since just before xmas!!! Both steroids and antibiotics finished a couple days after xmas, but as things are going I’m a bit worried I might need another course of both.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

jalu47

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Antje77 thanks for our reply,
I‘m on Humulin M3 and my numbers have been 5.0 - 8.5. When I started using insulin in February last year I was on 10 units twice a day. The doses went up to 14/16 and that was keeping the numbers steady. I have asthma and still have a cough from when I was ill just before Xmas. I noticed numbers increasing to mid-high teens and then up into the twenties! I dont think I was going high enough when increasing doses (25-30) and went up to 60 units last night resulting in bloods being 8.9 this morning….lowest since just before xmas!!! Both steroids and antibiotics finished a couple days after xmas, but as things are going I’m a bit worried I might need another course of both.
I’ve just come across your post. I’m also on humulin (and novorapid) and regularly have to take steroids due to chemotherapy. It really does shoot the readings up and I’ve had to take up to x4 times my usual amount and be really careful of carbs to keep within range. It will totally depend on the type of steroid and dose (I’m on dexamethosone) so hopefully your team helped out. When I stop the steroids it still takes a few days to settle so I often have to step down to normal dosing over an few more days and find those days are actually the hardest as more danger of going low. Hope you’re better by now!

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77