Insulin Pumps

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering what everyone's opinions/ experiences are with a pump as I have been told to consider to have one , so just curious on other people and if it be beneficial

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Overall opinions/experiences are positive from those who have change over to a pump, I'm a newcomer to pumping insulin and have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made, pumps are hard work at first and there's lots to learn when you first start on one but the positives far outweigh the negatives when you compare a pump to injections.

Hope you get a few more replies to your thread.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
am approved and waiting for 1 right now and everything i have read looks very promising.
no experience myself but have tagged @donnellysdogs who has great advice

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My type 1 is quite well controlled and I don't really have a problem with the injections, what would be the advantages of me changing to a pump and would they allow me to change just because I wanted to, my only problem in the last forty years has been nocturnal hypos would a pump be any help with this? My job as a wrapping machine engineer means I have to get into some awkward places, are the pumps quite well protected against bumps and knocks? Thanks for any info.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@jaywak, Nocturnal hypo's is one of the reasons why people may be considered for a pump, maybe worth asking your diabetes team if you'd meet the criteria for a pump.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
copied from NICE -- these are the criteria for a pump for adults

1.1 Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII or 'insulin pump') therapy is recommended as a treatment option for adults and children 12 years and older with type 1 diabetes mellitus provided that: attempts to achieve target haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels with multiple daily injections (MDIs) result in the person experiencing disabling hypoglycaemia. For the purpose of this guidance, disabling hypoglycaemia is defined as the repeated and unpredictable occurrence of hypoglycaemia that results in persistent anxiety about recurrence and is associated with a significant adverse effect on quality of life

1.2 or HbA1c levels have remained high (that is, at 8.5% [69 mmol/mol] or above) on MDI therapy (including, if appropriate, the use of long-acting insulin analogues) despite a high level of care.

Reactions: 4 people