insulin resistance close to period

Flossiealexis

Hello

I am normally high before my period but now it has all gone a bit crazy. It has always been a challenge around 13 -15 after meals, however now it is so bad its more like 20-30. I am 31 and been diagnosed since 18 months and I am normally quite good at solving these issues bio I have read loads of things around "double diabetes" taking chromium, antibodies in your system that try and hold onto the insulin and then release it hours later causing hypos etc and I don't know what to think. It has been for around four months so isn't anyone off. I am not poorly. I am just waiting blood tests but is there anyone out there who has had something similar. Gents the question is for you if any of you are reading this and are long term diabetics. Any long term recurring insulin resistance?

At my wits end now being high feels awful and makes me very grumpy. Boo

Would be great to hear from you

SJ

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Double diabetes is not a subject I know a great deal about, all I know is it's characterised by being resistant to the insulin that is injected (as you say you are) and being overweight is a main risk factor for developing DD, hopefully by replying to your post other more well informed members may respond to your post, particularly @phoenix.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Flossie! I used to have this issue in the lead up to a period. It used to drive me mad - especially as most of the medics I spoke to refused to accept it happened. There was one consultant who acknowledged it is a common problem for female diabetics. Keeping Carbs low and making sure to exercise regularly at this time seemed to be the best ways to reduce insulin resistance. If your cycle is regular and the problem is predictable, I'd be pretty tempted to increase my basal by 10% or so for the few days leading up to the period. Mine was never regular enough. I don't know anything about the science behind why it happens unfortunately.

Smidge