Insulin

knitting sue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only been on insulin since January. My readings have been ok, until the last week. They have been up and down for example 7.2. 8.4. suddenly rising to 10. 4. Etc. I don't know why.,?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are many things that can affect our BG in addition to what we eat, it could be stress, exercise, illness, medication, weather, and sometimes it just feels like we are wearing the wrong socks.

If you cannot explain the rise, it may be worth starting a new batch of insanity a new insulin pen.

Reactions: Marikev

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of insulin eg mixed fixed doses or self adjusted basal/bolus? If it’s fixed it could be as simple as different more carby foods making the balancing act not balance. Or there’s a variety of reasons outside of food as in response suggested. Levels are never static in anyone.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
7.2. 8.4. suddenly rising to 10. 4. Etc. I don't know why.,?
When trying to make sense of any test results there has to be some structure to the testing.
When were these tests done? In the mornings at roughly the same time, before food, sometime after eating or just random times throughout the day.
As already mentioned, our blood sugar levels are constantly changing, influenced by many factors, the main ones being food and activities and medication.

Reactions: HSSS
Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on insulin for a decade but in Jan ‘24 got prescribed a Libre 2 sensor and change of insulin from Humalog to long acting Toujeo and fast acting Fiasp. So for the first time seeing days when I have nice stable or predictable peaks/ troughs of blood glucose, as seen on the Libre graph, other days the BG shoots up or down for no apparent reason. For years with pin prick tests I expected to see BG rises when I got colds or covid, but not when apparently without virus. You can get a free 2-week Libre 2 sensor from Abbott if you want to try to see what you eat, drink, housework, exercise etc etc you do that causes odd BG!