interested question !

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago with a AC1 level of 79 since then have completely changed my lifestyle and my second test is back with a level of 48 so am over the moon, if i continue to improve and get my levels down to the 30’s will I always be classed as diabetic or just in remission ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had HbA1cs in the 30s for six years, my view is that I’ll always be diabetic, I consider my diabetic state to be “very well controlled”. Remission, reversed or whatever you wish to call it, it’ll never be cured. I think it’s important to keep the label diabetic on your medical records as it’ll maintain your entitlement to yearly checks, feet, eyes etc…

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
There are differences of opinion on the subject or T2D remission, reversal or 'cure'.
Even different GP surgeries may take different views because until quite recently T2D was thought to be incurable and progressive.

Some people hate to be labelled a diabetic, but as @Rachox points out there are advantages to having your medical records say you are diabetic - even when in remission.

So far as a cure is concerned, some people (in the blue forum) claim to be cured since they claim they can now eat to the NHS guidelines (Eatwell) without raised Blood Glucose. But for me I was eating that way for over a decade before my T2D diagnosis and developed bot CVD and T2D while eating that way - so I don't feel it is worth me testing my luck!

Reactions: Rachox

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
some people (in the blue forum) claim to be cured since they claim they can now eat to the NHS guidelines (Eatwell) without raised Blood Glucose.
Can you provide a reference for this?
I am a contributor to the Diabetes UK forum (and not afraid to name it) and have not come across anyone as you describe.
As with 'the red forum", the low carb approach is supported by many on their with type 2 including quite a few members I recognise from here.

Reactions: Mo R

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My reply is via a PM so as not to de-rail this thread.