Is there a prediabetic treatment

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well I’ve been pre diabetic for 6 years and really have worked so hard to stay under 42.
But I’ve not been well, and I’ve slipped badly to my detriment.
Just had a hba and I’ve gone up to 44, to my horror.
I can’t face another 6 years trying to get it down again.
Life to me is a constant battle with food.
Please can anyone tell me if there are any medications that are available to help someone like me.
I have had such a shock at the speed that it’s all happened.I really would be most grateful for any help.
Is there any life outside of pre diabetes?
Many thanks.
Wilber123

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Thanks for your post Wilbert123
I am in a similar situation to you.
Was prediabetic for quite a long time.
Felt I had let things slip during Covid 19 and fell off the wagon.
Now type two and trying to get weight and numbers down again. This time testing has really helped.
I guess you won't need medication yet and might be able to do enough to get you back where you were or even lower.
It is certainly harder now as inactive right now.
Do you low carb? Should bring you down fairly quickly if you do.

I suppose the thing is with the pair of us, the journey and task is never over. Onward and upwards and good luck.

mouseee

You've done brilliantly to keep it down so low and it may only take a couple of tweaks to get it down again. Are there any easy carbs you can lose to help?

You've got 3 months until you could ask for another hba1c so that could be a target.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and filly

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Than you filly and Mouseee,
Yes I’ve been having one slice of whole meal bread (17) carbs a slice. That could go. I miss the health benefits of fresh fruit so back to small amount of fruit, berries not Apples.
I also had a first Baked jacket potato last week, the first in a year. I ask you.
I also ate 26g of porridge oats made with water and a splash of double cream no sugar.
I seam to live on meat fish and veg. It’s no life. Except for my slip up.
Chap across the road is on Metformin, yet he’s down to pre-diabetic levels and he still taking Metformin. How does that work. He eats just what he wants. I don’t believe it.
Thank you again. I have a lot of thinking to do.

Reactions: filly

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
There are quite a number of people in my family that are type 2. One now on insulin. Slim but certainly eats far more carb than I have ever done.
My son like me but younger and able to be very active. Now in the normal range. Another similar to me also. 3 on medication and 1 not.
We are all different and all have to find our own journey.
Once we are happy with that we shall be happy with the stresses of living with Diabetes I feel.
Good luck.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you filly.
I understand that we are all very different. Dad was one of 12 Children all were Diabetic. Some on insulin some not.
I thought I’d cracked it, then I was I’ll and here we are.
I don’t wish to be thinking about every carb, can’t have this or that. Life is a struggle. I don’t want to struggle like this.
Back on low carb, I feel like I’m drowning in low carb cook books.
Constantly in the kitchen cooking.
How do the rest of you manage. Am I the only one who feels like this.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you filly.
I understand that we are all very different. Dad was one of 12 Children all were Diabetic. Some on insulin some not.
I thought I’d cracked it, then I was I’ll and here we are.
I don’t wish to be thinking about every carb, can’t have this or that. Life is a struggle. I don’t want to struggle like this.
Back on low carb, I feel like I’m drowning in low carb cook books.
Constantly in the kitchen cooking.
How do the rest of you manage. Am I the only one who feels like this.
I do virtually no special cooking. What foods are you making and eating? We don't have anything specific for me. I have what the others eat, but more veg, no spuds, rice or pasta, and an extra dollop of butter. Been doing this for a decade now.

Reactions: Outlier and filly