JDRF Secondary Schools pack available May 2012

Tracey69

Hi Sophia
I read the article and it sounds a great idea. I didn't realise they had these out, they weren't a round when i was diagnosed when i six.
My cousin of 16 yrs old has just been diagnosed T1 So i will order her on for school.
Thanks
Tracey

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anything that gives teachers and staff a better understanding of diabetes and what is involved on a daily basis has to get the thumbs-up :thumbup:

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure what is in the secondary school pack but certainly for the primary school pack my daughter's year 4 teacher at the time gave me some good feedback. She said it was very suitable and well received by the children and it fitted in well with the school's curriculum. They were able to learn about diabetes without the class feeling the only reason the subject was being discussed was because of Jess. I believe that the Y4 teacher used the pack again for her following year 4 class last year, so she must have been impressed enough to want to repeat the activities with the next year group. I'm not sure if she will do the lessons again this year but I suspect she might as there is a child again this year in her class with diabetes. I'm hoping that the secondary school pack will be equally as useful to the pupils and staff. I'm not sure an individual can order the pack themselves, I understood (but might be wrong) that the order needs to be placed by the school.

Tracey69

Hi Sophia
Thanks for the info. i will see what i can do. It's nice to hear a teacher used as well as they have. I think it helps that children understand these things, they hear about cancer and other illnesses, diabetes is just as important as so many more children are being diagnosed.
Hope Jess is well.
Take care
Tracey