Labour on Self Injections vs Sliding Scale

Emmah89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Just turned 27 weeks pregnant and researching all I can about labour with T1 (had it for nearly 16 yrs and is generally well controlled) this is my first pregnancy and I’m not too thrilled about the prospect of induction so I’m leaning towards declining that offer and see what the growth scans are saying nearer the time.

My other concern is labour and delivery and the “insulin/glucose drip” they want to put me on. I cannot stand cannulas and I think it will stress me more having that in my hand/arm than trying to control it myself, but I don’t use a pump just cartridge pens for both basal and bolus. I’ve seen that people have had successful deliveries with pumps on but nothing much about injections…

Does anyone have any experience of labour and delivery self injecting and not on a drip or a pump? I know I’ll be busy doing other things so my mind won’t be fully on my levels but I really don’t want the cannula!!

Any advice?

Thanks

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I delivered 40 years ago pre my diabetes so do not have an insight into the management. The birth was straight forward, I managed on gas and air and after a terrible pregnancy quite enjoyed the birth. However, I know for a fact that my brain would not have coped with managing insulin in the later stages. The actual producing of this wonderful human being takes all your concentration. I would take all the help they want to give you. If a cannula is in already it can be used in all eventualities and may need to be in for other reasons.
Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and hope all goes well.

Reactions: Emmah89 and EllieM