Libre Allergies

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been using libre on and off this year - initially I found it didn't produce any kind of negative reaction (although a couple were v inaccurate) but lately Ive been getting lots of straight out of the box failures and / or sensors that fall off on day 2 or 3 despite my using skin tac etc - so most of my stock is made up of replacements for failed sensors
what has been happening alongside this is an increasing amount of itching under the sensor once it is applied with a raised lump a bit like an insect bite around the insertion point
On Abbots advice, I spoke to a pharmacist today for some advice - he thought the site of the lump and itching indicated I may have an allergy to the filament that goes into the skin rather than an allergy to the glue ( which he said they are finding to be an increasingly common problem). He suggested anti histamine cream or steroid cream but said they might intefere with sensor accuracy.I get v sleepy with anti histamine tablets so they are not really an option.
He said the best thing to do was probably to just stop using Libre for at least some months to allow my system to settle down and then to only use it occasionally.
Has anyone else come across the same problem?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, the allergy was eased by stopping the libre for 6 months but when I used my last sensor after the break I still found the results hopelessly inaccurate (readings randomly low by up to 6 mmol/L). So, it's still no good for my body. (It worked perfectly for 8 months before allergy developed). Am now considering the dexcom...

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying
Did you find that the allergic reaction of itching / lumps went with having the break or did that come back alongside the inaccuracies?
Reason Im asking is Id ideally like to still be able to use the sensors occasionally for general trend info - Ive currently got 8 of them largely made up of replacements from Abbot for failed sensors - if not I’ll need to see if Abbot will buy them back