Look after your feet.

A

Anonymous

What exactly does that mean? Obviously wash them, I also use an electric thingy to get rid of all the hard skin, and, when I remember, I put foot cream on. I wear shoes with about an inch and a half heel as I have heard that is better than flat. I clip my own toe nails, probably to short, but I can`t stand the look of long ones. What else should we be doing to look after them?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing would be - don't walk around with bare feet. Always wear slippers or shoes.

As a diabetic your healing is slowed down and you may have neuropathy and you may step on something, not feel it and it turns into an ulcer or sore that doesn't heal, you then have your foot amputated (this of course is the worse case scenario).

I usually wear flip flops (not the rubber ones) from Shoe Zone indoors (they have a hard sole).

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I work with a podiatrist and she gave me various bits of advice. If you have animals be very careful you don't get a hair between your toes as it might become embedded and create a sore. Always wear footwear. Wash and check your feet every day and use a moisturising cream. Be careful using electrical items because if you have neuropathy you might damage yourself without realising.

A

Anonymous

OMG Didie. I have enough animals to start my own petshop!!!!!!!!!

More great advice. Thanks!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The talk I went to with a podiatrist stressed not using any harsh implements or electrical hard skin removers. Normal care as to cutting nails (but not with industrial strength clippers). See a podiatrist for things like corns and verruccas.

A lot depends on whether you have any neuropathy which is why it is important to get that checked regularly.
I had a few scary moments when got a huge blood blister on my foot a fortnight before the L. marathon last year. I used compeed blister plaster on it and it was fine by race day.The leaflet that comes with it says that it shouldn't be used by people with D. I'd already checked with my doctor and she was happy for me to use it since I have full feeling in my feet.

2 good leaflets from DUK
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Gu ... t.0212.pdf
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... Toes-test/

One thing it mentions which I think is very important is to look out for changes in shape of the foot. You may notice changes that a nurse might not. see.Charcot foot

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Why do you need to wash your feet everyday?

A

Anonymous

phoenix said:
The talk I went to with a podiatrist stressed not using any harsh implements or electrical hard skin removers. Normal care as to cutting nails (but not with industrial strength clippers). See a podiatrist for things like corns and verruccas.

A lot depends on whether you have any neuropathy which is why it is important to get that checked regularly.
I had a few scary moments when got a huge blood blister on my foot a fortnight before the L. marathon last year. I used compeed blister plaster on it and it was fine by race day.The leaflet that comes with it says that it shouldn't be used by people with D. I'd already checked with my doctor and she was happy for me to use it since I have full feeling in my feet.

2 good leaflets from DUK
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Gu ... t.0212.pdf
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... Toes-test/

One thing it mentions which I think is very important is to look out for changes in shape of the foot. You may notice changes that a nurse might not. see.Charcot foot

Great link Phoenix. Thank you :)

Sarah, besides the fact they would get smelly, I would think it is easier to examine clean feet. Other than that I have no idea. I just read it some place ;)