Low blood sugar symptoms

arfanj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

On a recent visit to the doctors I have once again been told that I am pre-diabetic. I am eager to reverse this as I am on no medications (diet changes only). The reason I went to the doctors was for a full blood test as I was feeling lightheaded and sometimes dizzy.

I recently purchased the Libre 2 to have a look at what does work for me and what does not work for me (eat to the meter). With the Cgm I have learned how to portion control however I am facing some problems.

I still am experiencing symptoms of low blood sugar, for example feeling hungry and lightheaded.. also confused at times. Looking at the Libre, most of the times it’s ok but at times it will say my blood glucose is VERY low.. checking with my finger prick machine the lowest I have ever seen is 4.2mmol (lowest ever), otherwise it’s always 5.0-5.7

I’m getting very confused as to what to do as I am not taking any medication but feeling the symptoms of low blood sugar.

Please find attached todays readings.

Any advice would be appreciated as I’m just not feeling myself :(

Attachments

• 0C3669DE-8F35-41FA-81CD-385AE7A876C8.jpeg
    0C3669DE-8F35-41FA-81CD-385AE7A876C8.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 200

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still am experiencing symptoms of low blood sugar, for example feeling hungry and lightheaded..
Are you eating enough?

Those readings are perfectly normal: 4-7 would be a very decent running range and on diet alone it’s not unusual to dip safely below 4.

You mentioned using the CGM for ‘portion control’ so the hunger and lightheaded feelings could be due to not having enough food or perhaps dehydration?

Or could be your body getting used to lower blood sugars, although if you’re pre diabetic it’s unlikely you were running terribly high.

They could also be unrelated to diabetes.

Could you give examples of what - and how much - you eat on a typical day)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
4.2 is not particularly low and is not dangerous in the slightest. Diabetes is a condition where the blood sugar levels are too high, either because we no longer make our own insulin or have become resistant to it.
When you hear or read about people with diabetes suffering dangerously low blood sugar it is almost certainly caused by the medication they are taking.
The reason you have probably seen that a level of 4 mmol is something to be concerned about is because if you are using insulin, your levels could still be on their way down and you would need to take action to prevent them going lower.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Goonergal and HSSS

arfanj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating enough?

Those readings are perfectly normal: 4-7 would be a very decent running range and on diet alone it’s not unusual to dip safely below 4.

You mentioned using the CGM for ‘portion control’ so the hunger and lightheaded feelings could be due to not having enough food or perhaps dehydration?

Or could be your body getting used to lower blood sugars, although if you’re pre diabetic it’s unlikely you were running terribly high.

They could also be unrelated to diabetes.

Could you give examples of what - and how much - you eat on a typical day)
Hey, thank you for your reply. I work in an Indian restaurant.

Typical day consists of the following:

Breakfast:
Boiled egg
Yoghurt (high in protein)

Lunch:
Chicken grilled
Rice, just enough to prevent a spike
Curry, normally a Daal or chicken dish
Salad

Dinner:
Salmon salad with some sort of carb, usually it’s something like a pakora.

Snacks:
I will typically have a latte coffee after breakfast

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, thank you for your reply. I work in an Indian restaurant.

Typical day consists of the following:

Breakfast:
Boiled egg
Yoghurt (high in protein)

Lunch:
Chicken grilled
Rice, just enough to prevent a spike
Curry, normally a Daal or chicken dish
Salad

Dinner:
Salmon salad with some sort of carb, usually it’s something like a pakora.

Snacks:
I will typically have a latte coffee after breakfast
Doesn’t seem like an awful lot, but also not starvation rations. I’d advise getting your symptoms checked out.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get lightheaded when I'm needing salt. Just a tiny pinch seems to be enough.
Perhaps look at increasing fat (from meat or olive oil or butter of ghee) and salt a bit?

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
It might be a 'false hypo' due to your levels having been high for some time and your brain throwing a paddy at the loss of its nice sugary bath.
I swear I had that a few times in the early stages where I was high then suddenly a crash then back again - its horrid. I would shake and be unsteady but not like a panic attack and feel sick

• Agree
Reactions: ravensmitten

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I swear I had that a few times in the early stages where I was high then suddenly a crash then back again - its horrid. I would shake and be unsteady but not like a panic attack and feel sick
Yes, that seems familiar.
I had a few as I think I was putting out too much insulin - pancreas had become a bit hysterical after being bombarded with 'healthy' carbs for almost 2 years before diagnosis. Once things calmed down on a low carb diet all was OK.

arfanj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys just a little update, everything seems to have calmed down now, I have put it down to simply my body reacting to the fact I'm not giving it the sugar it has been used to for so many years.

I have also been enrolled on to the diabetes prevention programme by the NHS.

Thank you for your help, your responses are priceless :)