Lows and highs

Don66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just getting my head around being diabetic (lada) still so frustrating. Started on a small dose of insulin last week. Trying to do a low carb diet and now my readings are going too low and have to take glucous and eat carbs when they go too low. So one minute trying to stay away from too many carbs and if i do i go too low and start feeling ill until i take more carbs . Feeling so fed up . Lost weight which am happy with and dont want to put on weight either !! Also have sore fingers from all the testing. Doing it 3 times a day now . How do all these brave people carry on and the children really admire them x

Codexy054

Ok, having just been on a DAFNE course (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) - you need to work out the right ratios for you, both Fast Acting Insulin and Background. Fast acting takes care of any food you eat (carbs) and Long acting trys to keep your levels stable over 24 hours (depending on type of insulin). So start small....0.5 units of fast acting insulin to ever 10g carbs. Take background insulin before bed if in the normal range of 4.5 to 8 mmol/L (adjust accordingly for now)....then following morning eat a carb free meal....if you long acting is too much, it will pull you down too low later morning...if not enough, you may go up....and keep making small changes over time to establish a pattern. Don't make too many changes....also don't cut cabrs...you need carbs as part of a balanced diet. Once background is right..next is to get the fast acting for food right....start small and build up...you may also be in the honeymood period. Also things like stress, exercise all contribute....if you have fast acting in your system and then hit the gym....it will bring you low...so I take 50% less insulin and try to go towards the end of the fast acting period (4-5 hours) to minimise this effect.

Codexy054

Also...I found out I am insulin resistent and I need to take double the starting recommendations of Insulin....but was advised that Metformin would help, so been on that a week and also taking 1 Berberine tablet with meals, and I've already had to drastically cut back on my fast acting and in fact have taken none after some carb meals and still managed to stay in the range......if you research, Metformin and Berberine you'll understand the theory...but for the first time since I've been diagnosed, this is the first experience of it working....think maybe because I've been very disaplined this time and I have alarms set on my phone on when to take what, so not missed a dose all week....that and I've been eating a very balanced diet and been hitting the gym 3/4 time a week.

Reactions: Don66