Manuka honey

chester1964

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
Has anyone used manuka honey to help lower glucose levels, if so did you eat it or buy supplements ?
Many thanks

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I understand that it does have some health benefits, antibacterial properties that help with wound healing. As far as T2 is concerned It is still honey, something like 80% carbohydrate, slightly less than sugar I suppose but still extremely high carbs. I suspect that not having it will be more beneficial to blood sugar levels

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it occasionally when I have a sore throat, but wouldn't use it to try to lower BG levels.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
Has anyone used manuka honey to help lower glucose levels, if so did you eat it or buy supplements ?
Many thanks
There are lots of claims for manuka honey but (essentially) eating sugar to lower your blood glucose would be a new one for me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
The claims seem to be anti-bacterial (on the skin) , auto-immune benefits (not sure what the evidence is for this) and good for soar throats. Can't see any of those negating the fact that it is likely to raise bgs because of carbs...
Interesting article here, but even it doesn't claim that manuka honey is good for glucose levels.

chester1964

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that it does have some health benefits, antibacterial properties that help with wound healing. As far as T2 is concerned It is still honey, something like 80% carbohydrate, slightly less than sugar I suppose but still extremely high carbs. I suspect that not having it will be more beneficial to blood sugar levels
This is the article I've seen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240311_210341_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_210341_Chrome.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: catinahat

chester1964

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The claims seem to be anti-bacterial (on the skin) , auto-immune benefits (not sure what the evidence is for this) and good for soar throats. Can't see any of those negating the fact that it is likely to raise bgs because of carbs...
Interesting article here, but even it doesn't claim that manuka honey is good for glucose levels.
This is the article I've seen, thanks

Attachments

789.1 KB · Views: 59

chester1964

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of claims for manuka honey but (essentially) eating sugar to lower your blood glucose would be a new one for me.
This is the article I saw, thanks

Attachments

789.1 KB · Views: 42

chester1964

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the article I saw, so not sure really

Attachments

789.1 KB · Views: 61

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
This is the article I've seen
I'm not scientific at all and have no idea if honey can regenerate a pancreas and restore beta cells function. If it were true it would be a major breakthrough in the treatment of diabetes and I would be astonished that the medical profession has somehow not noticed honey's potential.
Even so I can't see it being very helpful to most T2's, we usually have no trouble producing insulin, our problem is we can't use the insulin we produce.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like this might be the paper in question? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10559747/

If you read the two references which that sentence links to, one says that consumption of honey produces a better lipids profile but higher A1C which indicates it has had a deleterious effect on the BG control of the T2 patients who took the honey; the other says that honey is preferable to eating sucrose or glucose as it has a lower GI (for T1 patients in this case). Again, not a major surprise.

However, neither paper says what is highlighted, i.e. that it reduces blood glucose levels.

My off the cuff opinion is that it's a rubbish paper and someone didn't review it properly.

chester1964

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like this might be the paper in question? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10559747/

If you read the two references which that sentence links to, one says that consumption of honey produces a better lipids profile but higher A1C which indicates it has had a deleterious effect on the BG control of the T2 patients who took the honey; the other says that honey is preferable to eating sucrose or glucose as it has a lower GI (for T1 patients in this case). Again, not a major surprise.

However, neither paper says what is highlighted, i.e. that it reduces blood glucose levels.

My off the cuff opinion is that it's a rubbish paper and someone didn't review it properly.
It did seem odd, as someone mentioned earlier, if it was so good why don't we all know about it ? I'm just starting my diabetic journey so trying to find anything, along with diet and exercise, to keep my BG down. Many thanks for your reply

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And the initial study is on rats that have had their beta cells damaged.

The quoted study

used this method;

Forty-eight diabetic type 2 patients were randomly assigned into two groups: the honey group received oral natural honey for 8 weeks, and the control group did not take honey. Before the onset of the study (week 0) and after 8 weeks, weight measurements were taken and fasting blood samples were drawn.

So ordinary honey, not manuka honey: no control whatsoever of other possible factors that might affect outcomes; no balancing of the groups; etc.

Junk science in my view.

Reactions: SimonP78

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I sometimes have a spoonful of honey if i'me going low very quickly , it soon puts the brakes on it !

Reactions: SimonP78