Me and B12

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I live in France and have been a db2 for 10 years. Due to allergic problems with Metformin am on insulin.
Now 65, 6'3", 115 Kg and relatively healthy.
I have found that many people have joint pains with various drugs given specifically metformin and slow acting insulins AKA levemir and others.
I too had these pains with frozen shoulder, clicky middle finger, return of old knee injury etc, I also started to get secondary cataracts.
Now I reseached the web and "discovered" that a defficiency of vitamin B12 MAY be a problem in the US!!. I contacted the manufacturers and at first they were interested, then inexplicably dropped the info.
However, a friend that the doctors had no idea I knew, AND the doctor knew about my experiments, was diagnosed with Alzheimers, along with aforesaid pains. He was also on guess what oh yes Levemir and metformin.
They checked him out and now he is recovered from alzheimers ( so it was not that then OK) and his joint pains have also gone!!!
My poor experiments have varied from eating 2 teaspoons of marmite with each meal, (problems reduced - dramatically,) now 1000ug of B12 daily, forget it for 2 days and pains come back.
Given to another friend, walked like a hunch back for 5 years marmite recipe reduced his problems in 3 days.
I have now been stopped from Levemir as it was so apparent that was the problem, however the B12 is continued. Seems like they knew the problem in the US, Canada does not acknowledge it nor does the EU. The doctors here also tried Metformin again on me and effectively 3 days play took in excess of 3 months to get a lot better. Even the secondary cataracts in my right eye have all but cleared up. Acknowledged by opthalmic optician! BS also come down or rather a reduction in Insulin quantities.
So whilst I am NOT categorically saying what does what, Marmite is fairly cheap in the UK and its not a critical problem and if you like it try to see what happens. Vegemite is not the same and does NOT do it.
I do hope no one thinks this post is wrong and also that some others MAY benefit from what is a non medical peanut trial. Why peanut? Well Vegetarians also suffer and have B12 as a supplement!

The fact that I may also be allergic to plastic insulin and have to take aerius to not have weird problems may or not be a factor, but apparently its unlikely!

If you do try it do let us know.