Me too...

Tangoman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last week I got a call from my GP with my fasting blood test results, blood glucose level at 9 (was 15.5 in the surgery when he first checked it), and 'raised' cholesterol.
I'm in the dark about everything else so far. I'm 40 and all the doc told me is that I'm diabetic...

Been trying to write this for a while but I don't know where to start. What do I do? I'm not even sure what kind of diabetes I've got. What foods should I avoid? What exercise should I do?

Blimey...I felt fine before I knew!

Rich

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Rich,and the confusing world of information on diabetes!!Do you have another appointment with your doctor shortly,if not make one and go armed with lots of questions!
Chances are you are type 2 which means you can try and control it with diet.This means reducing the amount of carbohydrate that you eat daily.Basically diabetes is an inability to be able to metabolise carbohydrate properly.Which makes it very strange that the current NHS guidelines say to eat starchy carbs with every meal!!If you have a good read round the forum you will see what other members on here do re.diet ,exercise etc. Please ask us lots of questions,there's always someone with an answer.
There is a lot of info to take in,take it slow!!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya rich,
ditto what sue says but just wanted to say welcome :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
welcome to the forum!

Dont worry, we'll sort you out! :mrgreen:

You do need to find out exactly what your diagnoses is though, Type 1 or Type 2? As sue says, likely type 2, otherwise you'd been on insulin injections by now!

Diet and excercise are your friends for life now!

Remember you can ask anything you like here, no question is a silly question here!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It will help to know if it's T1 or T2. Misdiagnosing a t1 as T2 isn't a problem, but the other way round can lead to trouble. It's not always easy to tell.
Essentially, they are not the same condition, just have similar symptoms.
Whatever it is, you can't go wron bu reducing the sugars and starches ( carbs) which you eat
that should bring the numbers down fast. you'll need a meter to learn which foods suit you. Likely, your doctor won't want to give you one, let alone the test strips, but Nice guidelines say you SHOULD have one whilst learning.

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hey Tangoman

Just joined today as well but been type 2 for about 6 years now

Just take it easy as there's lots to take in

Hope all goes well - best of luck

Tangoman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, thanks for your advice, welcomes, encouragement...I don't feel quite so alone! It's quite a challenge getting my head around it having been completely healthy for the previous 40 years, and I think it sort of hit me yesterday.

R

CalicoBec

Hey there,

I'm newly diagnosed too, there is a world of info out there (mostly on this site hehe), all I can say is, don't try to learn it all at once, it's far too vast and confusing! Take each day one at a time, learn something new each day if you can, and always ask when your confused about something, cos someone here can normally help :)

welcome

Becca