Medtronic 640g Problems with Cracking?

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Well my new pump arrived today so I'm back pumping again (thank GOD as my blood sugar control was shocking back on MDI!) So happy to be pumping again, big relief. I just hope this one lasts a bit longer than 6 months!

Janine2301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good day I'm really unhappy love the technology of the 640g but it's my 4th pump in less than 4 months because of the the cracking of casing I have not let it fall or misused it in anyway but this keeps happening all the time this is a huge let down as I have so much better control but the casing cracking all over the show is heartbreaking

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Perhaps there is a lack of consistency in the manufacture of the plastic which may show up with the problems mentioned in more than one pump brand. Good old quality control out the window, or cost cutting leading to use of inferior materials and manufacturers.
If they can build rockets and habitats to send people to the Moon and (hopefully) Mars why can they not do better with earthly devices ?

Reactions: Chas C

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is interesting. I've had a 640G since July last year, and I've had no issues at all with it. But I'll keep an eye on it from now on, so thanks for raising the issue.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
I know I’m late to the party, I’ve been pumping fr 7 years, my first Medtronic pump, the minimed was fine, no issues at all. The 640g though, first one broke after about a year, second one lasted a year, third one about 6 months and I now have one which was a replacement issued in JUNE this year with a massive crack in it.
When I phoned last time they accused me of dropping it, now I’m not perfect and have bumped into things, and once dropped one onto my bedside rug, from the great heigh of about 18 inches when the cannula decided to come away from my stomach.
Something like a pump, especially one with really weak belt clips, should be able to withstand the odd bump or being dropped on carpet/cat very occasionally,
If they accuse me again, I shall refer them to this.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @duranie

I've had 2 cracked pumps in the last 3 years, also had a conversation with them where they asked if I had dropped it, however its always attached to me in a pump belt or taken off and placed on a shelf if washing, replacement has always been within a day though, it needs changing as soon as you notice the crack as it can cause faults with the pump, I only noticed the crack the last time as kept getting issues with the pump dispensing bolus shots and called them only noticed when I was on the phone. Just ensure you always have a back up of pens just n case though.

iantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone,

I have been on the Medtronic 640g since last March, my first ever pump! Diagnosed T1 11 years ago. I am on Pump no.5 as all my previous pumps have cracked around the neck where you insert the reservoir. This weekend I have found a crack in pump No.5. Medtronic say that this hasn't happened to anyone else which is totally freeking me out as I have NEVER dropped it or banged it, wear it in my bra, face down on my skin in a silicone case and a sports padded case at night. The cracks are hairline, so very hard to see! Has this happend to anyone else?
Thanks in advance
Debs x
I have had the exact same issue with medtronic pumps. I havent dropped the pumps, the cracks just appeared. My pump is in a silicoln case & when its not its in a running belt. I have had 3 pumps develop unexplained cracks. My pump is now sadly out of warrantly. The bloke on customer support hung up on me when I called him to say that the pump they had sent me to replace the cracked pump had cracked in the exact same place after 6 weeks.

Berryman 1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the exact same issue with medtronic pumps. I havent dropped the pumps, the cracks just appeared. My pump is in a silicoln case & when its not its in a running belt. I have had 3 pumps develop unexplained cracks. My pump is now sadly out of warrantly. The bloke on customer support hung up on me when I called him to say that the pump they had sent me to replace the cracked pump had cracked in the exact same place after 6 weeks.
Same here I'm in my third pum and just noticed a crack in exactly the same place. Medtronic don't seem to care and they must have seen the cracks.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A lot of them not wanting to do anything about it is probably to do with cost saving and/or testing a different design to ensure it doesn’t suffer from the same issues. The 780g was recently updated to be a slightly thicker design which will hopefully eliminate the issues that the previous models suffer from.

username3

Whoops, I only saw this post just now but here is a Medtronic email from 2021 if anyone still has interest:

Field Safety Notice​

MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pump retainer ring​

Recall​

October 2021

Medtronic Reference: FA896 phase II

Dear Pump User,

You are receiving this letter because our records indicate that you have a MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pump that is subject to an ongoing Field Safety Notice. This notice affects MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pumps with a clear retainer ring. Medtronic first communicated about this in November 2019 with instructions to examine your pump for potential retainer ring damage and instructions to contact us if the retainer ring appeared to be loose, damaged or missing.

Medtronic is updating this Field Safety Notice to replace any MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pump that has a clear retainer ring with a MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pump that has the updated black retainer ring design. Insulin pumps with the updated black retainer ring design are not impacted by this notice. There is no charge for the replacement, and it will be provided even if the clear retainer ring is not damaged and regardless of the warranty status of the pump.

Please visit www.medtronic-diabetes.com/FA896 and complete the form online or call us at 01923 205167 to indicate your decision to receive a replacement pump at no charge. Replacement pumps will become available in the coming months, and you will be notified when your pump is ready to ship. Replacement pumps will continue to be immediately available if you experience an issue with the retainer ring on your current pump.

Issue Description:

The MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pump is designed with a retainer ring to lock the reservoir in the pump. Medtronic initiated a Field Safety Notice for MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pumps with a damaged clear retainer ring in November 2019 due to reported incidents of a loose reservoir that can no longer be locked into the pump. The reservoir can become loose due to a broken or missing retainer ring that prevents a proper lock. The retainer ring can be broken, for example, as a result of dropping or bumping your pump on a hard surface.

If the reservoir is not properly locked into the pump, the improper locking could lead to over or under delivery of insulin, which could then result in hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia. Severe hypoglycemia can be life-threatening or may result in death. For example, if the retainer ring is broken or becomes detached from the pump, and the user inserts the reservoir back into the pump while the infusion set is still connected to the body, it could result in a rapid infusion of insulin, which could cause hypoglycemia. The under delivery of insulin could occur if the reservoir is not properly locked in place by the retainer ring, creating a space between the pump and the reservoir, and prevents the pump from pushing the expected insulin into the body, or if the pump stops working due to water entering the pump, all of which could cause hyperglycemia and may contribute to Diabetic ketoacidosis.

Serious injuries and deaths have been reported with the use of the MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pumps but have not been directly correlated with damaged clear retainer rings based on information available to Medtronic and review with independent clinical experts. Damaged clear retainer rings could potentially lead to those events as explained above.

Medtronic has stopped manufacturing and distributing MiniMed™ 600 series insulin pumps with clear retainer rings.

Screenshot_20240201-230300_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240201-230401_Gmail.jpg

Very embarrassing for Medtronic.