medtronic 780g and cgm

taffryan1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i was wondering if anyone with a medtronic 780g pump has been able to get the guardian 4 sensor cgm on the nhs i live in calderdale west yorkshire
and have been told i would need to self fund to be able to have it any help on this would be much appreciated.
thanks

taffryan1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m in West Yorkshire (not Calderdale) and I have both 780G and G4’s on NHS
thank you for responding hopefully i can get it in calderdale as well using dexcom at min but its a bit hit and miss would
rather G4,s will have to speak to the nurse thanks

Reactions: Dexta

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i was wondering if anyone with a medtronic 780g pump has been able to get the guardian 4 sensor cgm on the nhs i live in calderdale west yorkshire
and have been told i would need to self fund to be able to have it any help on this would be much appreciated.
thanks
I was on the Guardian 3 previously and once the Guardian 4 became available I was immediately swapped to it all funded by the NHS. As far as I am aware everyone should have access to a CGM as per NICE guidelines it’s whether your hospital will agree to fund it or not as technically their are cheaper options that they could provide you instead of a G4.

Reactions: Dexta

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on the Guardian 3 previously and once the Guardian 4 became available I was immediately swapped to it all funded by the NHS. As far as I am aware everyone should have access to a CGM as per NICE guidelines it’s whether your hospital will agree to fund it or not as technically their are cheaper options that they could provide you instead of a G4.

As you know the Medtronic M780G will only work with the G3/G4’s.
If in this situation the M780G has been offered, it seems pointless to offer the ‘cheaper options’.
The postcode lottery seems to prevail….

Reactions: Gordontoo

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
While it's better for most people to have the sensor that integrates with their pump, if it was a choice of stand alone pump and different sensor, or pump and finger prick tests with no cgm, I know what I'd choose. I've used all these combinations.

NigelM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the 780G for 3 years with the freestyle Libre. I am treated at KCH in London but live in Kent. They contacted me before Christmas and invited me to go onto the Guardian 4 as the NICE guidelines had changed. I started last Wednesday and the improvement in control has been immediate. I varied from 55-75% in target range and it has been 98% since the change. Some of that will be the ‘new tech’ effect. I took part in a trial 5 or 6 years ago with the previous Medtronic cgm sensor (Enlight?) and the improvement was noticeable but not as dramatic and we all found the sensors would not remain connected with frequent gaps. So far the system has been rock solid.

Reactions: eventhorizon