Medtronics MiniMed insertion fix for blockage errors

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronics insulin pump with MiniMed Quick -set
Problem with blockage error messages!
1- Before inserting the MiniMed Quick -set, while removing the plastic blue needle protective cone, rotate it 360 degrees or until the cone releases and falls off in your hand, ***never pull on the cone to remove it***.
2- When inserting the MiniMed Quick -set manually across your body, only lift the device 1-2 inches max to maintain a vertical insertion into the skin, of course the auto serter device will do this when held against the skin.
Using these 2 steps has stopped all my initial blockage errors, but of course you can still bend or catch the tubing after insertion that can also generate an error.
I would also suggest that you first remove the adhesive tape, then press down on the blue cap to reset the needle before twisting to remove the protective needle cap. As the tape will also generate a force that will pull the needle back, receding it into the plastic tubing
Note: you can test the MiniMed Quick-set to verify the problem, with the quick set sitting on a table, rotate the cap 90 degrees then lift by the blue cap and note that it has not released, same thing happens when you rotate 180 and 270 degrees. After a full 360 rotation, the cap will release and fall off the quick set.
The problem that occurs, is the force required to disconnect the cap will pull the plastic sleeve upward on the needle leading to ballooning of the plastic during the insertion causing a restriction in the insulin flow.
But when you remove the insertion tubing and test the pump the problem seems to go away, and you may then attribute that blockage to the insertion site.
Having a microscope to examine the tubing is the key to determining the root cause of the problem.
Follow up: I have not experienced a blockage on the pump in over two months since this discovery and can now use the quick bolus speed.
Update: the newer minimed quick set require 4 or more twist/rotations before they will release, reference LOT 5372280 REF MMT-399A, so you can expect more blockage errors to occur with your pumps, unless using this procedure. Now, almost 90 days without a blockage error/problem.

Last edited: