Metformin question

Varley

Hi I’m now on metformin sr as my hba1c got up to 70. I started taking one a day for a week then two for a week and am increasing up to four a day . If my fasting blood sugar comes back down to normal before I have increased to the full amount can I just stick to that number of tablets ?

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m now on metformin sr as my hba1c got up to 70. I started taking one a day for a week then two for a week and am increasing up to four a day . If my fasting blood sugar comes back down to normal before I have increased to the full amount can I just stick to that number of tablets ?
That sounds like the standard approach that most diabetic nurses use when treating someone who is newly diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (T2D). I would expect you to be asked to increase your dose gradually until you're on 2 tablets after breakfast and 2 after your evening meal.

Most on here have reasonable success in bringing their hba1c down following a low carbohydrate high/healthy fat way of eating. Have a look at https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Reactions: MissMuffett

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning @Varley.

I'm a metformin user. It's usual to increase this medication in increments of 500 mg, should an increased dose prove necessary, until your blood glucose is controlled. We're all different. Many of us are prescribed between 500 mg and 1500 mg daily for years, without needing a higher dose.

Please bear in mind that metformin doesn't work on a day-to-day basis. It's therapeutic effects are cumulative. Whilst it may start to lower your blood glucose levels during the first week of treatment, it takes 2 to 3 months to reach maximum effectiveness.

I would continue as instructed by your prescriber. If your FBG levels improve consistently over a month or so, I'd seek a medical view.

BBGRAMMY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds like the standard approach that most diabetic nurses use when treating someone who is newly diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (T2D). I would expect you to be asked to increase your dose gradually until you're on 2 tablets after breakfast and 2 after your evening meal.

Most on here have reasonable success in bringing their hba1c down following a low carbohydrate high/healthy fat way of eating. Have a look at https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
Hi there!
I’ve been on and off the forum for the past 15 years. I’m in need of some advice regarding when it’s best to take my metformin 500mg 3x a day and 5 mg of trigenta. I. Have to be honest I’m a little unsure of how to navigate around the forum and not sure I’m on the right post? Any guidance appreciated.

Reactions: flonvic

mouseee

Hi there!
I’ve been on and off the forum for the past 15 years. I’m in need of some advice regarding when it’s best to take my metformin 500mg 3x a day and 5 mg of trigenta. I. Have to be honest I’m a little unsure of how to navigate around the forum and not sure I’m on the right post? Any guidance appreciated.
That is something best asked at your pharmacy or to your DSN. There will be specific advice maybe even depending on other meds you're on.

• Agree
Reactions: flonvic and EllieM

mouseee

You may get you numbers down fairly quickly but to get from hba1c of 70 to 'normal' but if you are happy to take them and they aren't causing issues then I'd carry on with them at the prescribed level until you've had your next hba1c at least. You can ask for one realistically three months after the latest one.
My last hba1c was high at 64 but I asked the DSN to hold off new meds for three months to see if I can get them down. I'm on metformin and Trulicity but I don't want add more in. He was happy to book me in one there and then.

BBGRAMMY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is something best asked at your pharmacy or to your DSN. There will be specific advice maybe even depending on other meds you're on.
Ok,thank you. I can ask my pharmacist .
I’ve tried different ways of taking the tablets but at the moment my BGs are not stabilising. I am reducing my carb intake so I will continue to monitor regularly.

mouseee

Ok,thank you. I can ask my pharmacist .
I’ve tried different ways of taking the tablets but at the moment my BGs are not stabilising. I am reducing my carb intake so I will continue to monitor regularly.
Metformin doesn't bring down blood sugar as in, if you take it you won't see the numbers come down there and then. It acts to get the cells to use insulin better to use the glucose in the blood. I have tried mine at different times and I don't think it made a lot of difference.
Better I think is to look at your caeb intake and use your meter to see how different foods affect uou. Test at the start of a meal and then 2 hours later. If its more than 2 up feom before, best avoided.

BBGRAMMY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Many thanks for this reminder about monitoring my food and testing. I’ve started this but still not seen any changes. It’s only been a few days. I’m back on Glucophage since my local chemist has been giving me other brands that I’ve not been able to tolerate. I’m also looking at meal suggestions on the site.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin works by lowering the amount of Glucose added by our Livers. It is also said to improve Insulin resistance a little, and is generally thought to help the cardio vascular system. When i got my numbers down to non diabetic, my gp suggested sticking with the minimum dose, purely for the benefits to my Peripheral Artery disease. I'm also now on a low dose of Dapaglaflozin. Not for diabetic reasons, but to aid my kidneys, which could be said to be due to diabetes. The half life of Metformin is 72 to 96 hours, so 3 to 4 days to reach the dosed for level, and the same to clear the system when stopping.

Reactions: jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin works by lowering the amount of Glucose added by our Livers. It is also said to improve Insulin resistance a little, and is generally thought to help the cardio vascular system. When i got my numbers down to non diabetic, my gp suggested sticking with the minimum dose, purely for the benefits to my Peripheral Artery disease. I'm also now on a low dose of Dapaglaflozin. Not for diabetic reasons, but to aid my kidneys, which could be said to be due to diabetes. The half life of Metformin is 72 to 96 hours, so 3 to 4 days to reach the dosed for level, and the same to clear the system when stopping.
The reasons I continue to take it too, it’s supposed to have quite a few benefits besides the use for diabetes

Reactions: jjraak