Metformin Sr

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I am now on my second day of metformin sr but getting really bad dizziness and blurred vision and no appetite, just forcing myself to have a couple of bites of food but wrenching after.
Is this normal? as I am a little scared. Thanks in advance

maggie59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes that's normal I was the same when I was diagnosed in May but after a few weeks u will start to feel better dnt worry but u do have force urself to eat the best way is to eat little & often & u'll be fine hope ur feeling better soon take care

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I was lucky that I never got any side affects from metformin, but going by what I have read from other members on it, it's normal and will pass

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a couple days of pretty extreme diarrhea and then no side effects after. Had another 2 day bout when the dosage was raised and then fine. I am on the regular. Blurred vision can be a side effect of the blood sugar levels coming down in to a more normal range. I had that happen, it lasted about 2 or 3 weeks. I just bought a cheap pair of reading glasses from a dollar store for close up stuff. My vision is fine now.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replies. I will keep at it. Just seems dizziness is worse after I try to eat a little.

Emmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask how long it was before people saw any improvement in their bg readings after starting Metformin? X

statler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
salad
I'd be so bold to suggest diet and exercise plays a far bigger part in lowering bg than metformin in my limited experience

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask how long it was before people saw any improvement in their bg readings after starting Metformin? X
Metformin has other health benefits but it does not really lower BG levels very much. I take 500mg of the slow release version twice a day more than that and I completely loose my appetite

redkat420

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on the slow release for a bout a month now, 1500 a day. It was horrible at first but starting this week it has mellowed out. Not many side effects except for lack of appetite. It is much worse with the more carbs that I eat, nausea and bathroom issues. Meals with little if any carbs cause me no problem.

redkat420

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on the slow release for a bout a month now, 1500 a day. It was horrible at first but starting this week it has mellowed out. Not many side effects except for lack of appetite. It is much worse with the more carbs that I eat, nausea and bathroom issues. Meals with little if any carbs cause me no problem.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello :)
I started off with x1 500mg Metformin a day
Then up to X2 daily for 2nd week
Then x3 daily for 3rd week
Then x4 daily (2000mg) since

On the 2nd week of taking 4 daily, my left leg felt numb and a bit tingly in the toes, plus my vision for short sightedness became worse.
It could be coincidental following the diagnosis of T2, but worrying for me all the same.
I also felt a bit dizzy and nauseous, but these symptoms have passed.
However, I have an excellent optician and he gave me a thorough check and my sight has slightly deteriorated for my close work, so my script has been updated to reflect this change.

This is what has occurred with me, but I hope you are feeling good better now as the time goes on. Maybe someone else can share their experiences with Metformin and hopefully reassure us.

Oh my ankles have swollen too, but I'm due a review soon for my HbAc1 to see if it's come down, I may have the Metformin reduced in conjunction with taking another tablet. Swollen ankles are not nice :(