Might have to start insulin

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all
I might have to start insulin at the end of the month. I’m terrified my hba1c has been high for quite some time now and I have exhausted all other avenues.
I really don’t know if I would be able to cope with this.
Any help and advice would be appreciated
Thank you everyone

• Hug
Reactions: VashtiB

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Sorry all t2 diabetes medicines

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of things do you eat? You may benefit from reducing your carbs. What was your last Hba1c? Do you test your BG with a meter?

The more info you can give on the type of things you eat, what your BG are like etc the more help and advice members will be able to give you :)

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I test my blood sugars with a freestyle libre 2. I did have good control on them but mostly they are up and down the highest they have been was 27 which happened only a few days ago.
I am struggling with my eating as I have an eating disorder. My last hba1c was 103. That was at the beginning of the year my predicted is now 83. It is coming down but not as well as i and my diabetic nurse had hoped. I have another blood test at the end of the month.
I am currently on bydrueon injections which is once weekly. As well as slow release metaformin gliclazide and canagliflozin

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jaz132 the insulin will help bring your blood glucose down. But to bring A1c down to where you want it, you may have to tackle the diet as well.

If I was binge eating then even taking triple / quadruple the insulin I normally would have, still didn't bring my blood glucose down from the double digits. I think it's worse because we're resistant to insulin to begin with.

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi @Jaz132 the insulin will help bring your blood glucose down. But to bring A1c down to where you want it, you may have to tackle the diet as well.

If I was binge eating then even taking triple / quadruple the insulin I normally would have, still didn't bring my blood glucose down from the double digits. I think it's worse because we're resistant to insulin to begin with.

It is binge eating and I’m eating all the wrong foods I have even tried to buy just “healthy” snacks but it doesn’t make a difference really.
I am struggling in the mental health side of things and this is having a big impact on my type 2 diabetes.
Also I’m not very mobile due to physical disabilities which I also know is a big factor in bringing down my glucose levels

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jaz132 But to bring A1c down to where you want it, you may have to tackle the diet as well.
I'm trying not to doubt this statement but I'm struggling with the logic because if that was true how would T1s, for example, ever bring their A1c down? Or are you saying that while on insulin if you're still in double digits your A1c won't come down (that I can understand)

Edit: reading your entire comment again I think you mean that if your insulin doesn't cover the meal and you're still in double digits after eating then your A1c will still be high. That makes sense. My apologies

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaz132

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @plantae , yes spent most of my time in double digits while binging. Despite increasing the insulin to what 'should' have covered it based on my usual counting.

Without the insulin my bloods would have been higher though.

All the meds I've taken helped lower my blood glucose. But only sorting my diet got it down to target.

Reactions: Ashybang

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Update I’ve decided to start on insulin my self. I’ve been put on lantus.
Is there anyone else on this would anyone be able to guide me and give a few tips please

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
It is binge eating and I’m eating all the wrong foods I have even tried to buy just “healthy” snacks but it doesn’t make a difference really.
I am struggling in the mental health side of things and this is having a big impact on my type 2 diabetes.
Also I’m not very mobile due to physical disabilities which I also know is a big factor in bringing down my glucose levels
Hi just a thought but have you looked into some kind of counselling regarding your diagnosis? It may help with the mental health side, although don't quote me on the counselling as I am a fine one to talk on the subject. Just a thought xxxxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Update I’ve decided to start on insulin my self. I’ve been put on lantus.
Is there anyone else on this would anyone be able to guide me and give a few tips please
Many of us, including myself, are or have been on Lantus.

Please share what questions you have and we'll likely be able to share what we did. ;)

When I first started a long acting insulin, my nurse showed me how to work the pen (and had me practice on a sponge) and told me how many units to start with. Is it the same for you?

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
It’s mainly the side effects I know weight gain and risk of hypo. I was wondering if anyone experienced anything else.
I was told how to work the pen. I need to do 2 then push the end and then inject after. As far as I am aware I have to do it every time I inject

Reactions: Antje77

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi just a thought but have you looked into some kind of counselling regarding your diagnosis? It may help with the mental health side, although don't quote me on the counselling as I am a fine one to talk on the subject. Just a thought xxxxx

I have been referred to an eating disorder team just waiting on them to get in touch with me. I have been struggling with my eating for a couple of years now but have only recently had the courage to speak about it

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi everyone so i have been on lantus for a few weeks now and i have gone from 10 units to 14 once a day. I seem to be injecting okay (I hope)
I find that it somewhat helps my blood sugar levels but I have still been in the 20s a bit too much.
Does anyone know the maximum amount you can have of lantus before they change to a different type of insulin?
Also what kind of side effects have people been having with this insulin?
Thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know the maximum amount you can have of lantus before they change to a different type of insulin?
There is no maximum amount, some people use hundreds of units.
If you need a very large amount often a different, more concentrated insulin is prescribed so you can have the same units with less fluid.
I use Tresiba U200 (meaning there are 200 units in a milliliter, your Lantus is U100, so 100 units per ml.). I use 98 to 125 units of long acting insulin a day.

14 units is still a low dose, it takes time to find the right dose because you don't want someone to take a too high dose.
Is your dose slowly being titrated up?

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
It is yes I’ve got a phone call with my diabetic nurse next week so I assume she will advise me to increase the dose.
My last hba1c was 98 but I am due to have an operation in the new year so I need to work hard to get it down!