Morning Glory !

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am quite new to this but I cannot seem to get my fasting morning levels down. I am on 1x500 slow release metformin with my evening meal which is at 6pm. I do t eat after that. My day time levels are hovering at 6.2-7 but my mornings are in the high 8’s to 9’s what am I doing wrong. Can anyone help ! TIA

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Yep, its called DP.

I still have it. Ok what I have the day before contributes. Also I try and fast from evening to 11/12 midday if I can.
The liver will dump sugar into your system if it thinks you aren't going to eat.
My sugars all drop during the day.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Its called the dawn phenomenon.
Although phenomenon is probably the wrong word because it's a totally natural thing that probably been quite instrumental in our survival as a species.
Just as we are getting ready to wake the release of certain hormones signal our livers to release some of its stored glucose into our blood.
The purpose is to give us energy after our overnight fast so we are able to go chase down some breakfast.
It happens to everyone, it's been happening to you your whole life. The difference is that now you have developed T2 you can't use that glucose your liver has so thoughtfully provided, so it causes your blood sugar levels to rise. Before T2 you would have just used up that glucose, and of course you weren't testing so you wouldn't have noticed it anyway.
It's not new sugar, it has been stored away in your liver where your glucose monitor can't see it, you only get to see it when it moves out of storage.
What can you do? Well not a lot really, you can't try to fight millions of years of evolution, the best you can do is concentrate on keeping your after meal levels as normal as possible, exercise and maybe some intermittent fasting can help reduce the amount of glucose you have stored. Which hopefully reduce the severity of your dawn phenomenon