Morning highs

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was diagnosed T2 almost 4 months ago, have got a handle on most things but I am struggling to understand what is happening with my morning BS so any pointers, things to read etc would be greatly appreciated, not due back at the GP for a couple of weeks..

Currently on 2x 1g Metformin SR a day, changed diet to lower carbs and increased exercise.

From midday on my BS is averaging between 5 and 6.5 (before meals and 2 hrs after) usually when I wake up in the morning it's 6.5-7.5.
Last night I fell off the wagon and allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted for my birthday which consisted of pasta, pizza, cake and wine. 2 hours afterwards in the evening it was 6.7, this morning when I woke up it was 10.4, fine I could expect that with what I ate last night but snoozing for an hour and testing myself again it was then 6.0, did repeat the tests to make sure they weren't erroneous.
So why is BS so high in the morning and then dropping to what I consider normal when I haven't done anything, eat, drink, move?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the dawn phenomenon is a pain..........

my experience is from the type one side of things but I suppose as a type 2 you could try a few things to help out.........

a bit of exercise before bed maybe......

some people have had success with peanut butter because of its slow digestion which means its still digesting in to the morning and so the liver is not signaled to help out due to the absence of fuel [digesting food]....some others have used cheese too......trial and error really.......

as i say limited experience from a non insulin dependents side of the fence......

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies, I had come across Dawn phenomenon but I must have somehow misunderstood something. I'll have a play around with some of the suggestions and see if any help although I seem to have already unknowingly tried some without little effect..

Reactions: 2 people