Mounjaro and insulin

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all I’m going to be starting Mounjaro next eeek alongside my insulin (novorapid and lantus)
Has anyone tried this combination before or have any tips that they could share.
Once a week I will be injecting 4 different meds in the morning! I’m finding it quite daunting. I’m struggling to cope day to day and am due to go abroad soon so am unsure of how that’s going to turn out now that I’ve started insulin. Had a look at travel insurance which was coming up very expensive.
Anyway enough ranting sorry.
Thank you for your time

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I’m going to be starting Mounjaro next eeek alongside my insulin (novorapid and lantus)
Has anyone tried this combination before or have any tips that they could share.
Once a week I will be injecting 4 different meds in the morning! I’m finding it quite daunting. I’m struggling to cope day to day and am due to go abroad soon so am unsure of how that’s going to turn out now that I’ve started insulin. Had a look at travel insurance which was coming up very expensive.
Anyway enough ranting sorry.
Thank you for your time
Hi,

I may have read your post wrong.. (appologies if I have.)

Lantus is a daily injection insulin which works on your background BG levels whilst fasting.
Novorapid is injected.(usually prior.) to eating a meal. The dose is dependent on the amount of carbs consumed in that meal.

Traveling with insulin. I’ve always kept my supplies with me in hand luggage.

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
You right I inject lantus in the morning alongside novorapid. And then novorapid in the evening as well.
Have you had to put it in a special case (I.e. too keep it cool with ice packs)
And had anyone ever stopped you at security due to the needles or do you put them in the hold luggage?
Thank you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You right I inject lantus in the morning alongside novorapid. And then novorapid in the evening as well.
Have you had to put it in a special case (I.e. too keep it cool with ice packs)
And had anyone ever stopped you at security due to the needles or do you put them in the hold luggage?
Thank you
OK. Security have seen it all. I personally have never had an issue with needles.
If I’m off to a hotter climate? I keep my supplies (including the pen in use.) in a “Frio wallet.” The hotter it gets the cooler it keeps it.? No ice involved.
There are different sizes & types to be found online like Amazon. Here is the Frio site. https://friouk.com/

Reactions: Jaz132

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
OK. Security have seen it all. I personally have never had an issue with needles.
If I’m off to a hotter climate? I keep my supplies (including the pen in use.) in a “Frio wallet.” The hotter it gets the cooler it keeps it.? No ice involved.
There are different sizes & types to be found online like Amazon. Here is the Frio site. https://friouk.com/

Hey @Jaylee
Thanks for the recommendation will definitely look into that. I have been abroad before with non insulin injections but they were only once a week so I popped it in my big luggage. This will be my first time travelling with insulin.
I’m also terrified in case I suffer a hypo mid flight!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Jaylee
Thanks for the recommendation will definitely look into that. I have been abroad before with non insulin injections but they were only once a week so I popped it in my big luggage. This will be my first time travelling with insulin.
I’m also terrified in case I suffer a hypo mid flight!
OK,

Hypos. They can be funny about liquids in hand luggage (Lucozade.)
But I’ve had no issue regarding sweets in the bag. Or pockets.
I wouldn’t let my insulin out of my sight so I carry it on board. (Be screwed if I lost it.)
If you carry a meter? They may swab it for explosives (for safety.) anything they see with batteries like double or tripple As?
That’s no big deal. They may just ask you to switch it on?

On the whole. It tends to be no more painful going through the security than any other passenger.

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
OK,

Hypos. They can be funny about liquids in hand luggage (Lucozade.)
But I’ve had no issue regarding sweets in the bag. Or pockets.
I wouldn’t let my insulin out of my sight so I carry it on board. (Be screwed if I lost it.)
If you carry a meter? They may swab it for explosives (for safety.) anything they see with batteries like double or tripple As?
That’s no big deal. They may just ask you to switch it on?

On the whole. It tends to be no more painful going through the security than any other passenger.

I could always buy some full sugar drink from the duty free I suppose.
That’s true I think I will keep mine with me.
I don’t finger prick I use the libre 2. Will that be a problem?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could always buy some full sugar drink from the duty free I suppose.
That’s true I think I will keep mine with me.
I don’t finger prick I use the libre 2. Will that be a problem?
You can always put your phone in “airplane mode” but switch the Bluetooth back on for the sensor.
What I find with sensor readings during lows, (if they are hitting sub 3.5mmol?) is there can be a lag as the interstitial fluid takes time to register the catch up with BG levels rising (& even how I feel?) after treating it.

You might wish to carry a meter if the lows disconcert you?

Have a great holiday!