Muco cutaneous cyst

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I have a muco cutaneous cyst on one of my toes. (I haven't been diagnosed because I just can't be bothered finding out there's something else wrong!) My toe only hurts sometimes (after Argentine tango), which is why I haven't yet been to my GP.

According to Google, if the cyst is removed, it will come back. That's bad enough but the risk of infection seems high, plus it can be difficult to close the wound in the first place. This is another reason I haven't gone to my GP.

I just wondered if anyone has one of these cysts and, if so, did you have it treated?

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up @dancer.
Get your G.P. to have a look. He may agree that the cyst may come back if removed but he might diagnose something else. Better to be safe than sorry with any foot problems.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I have a muco cutaneous cyst on one of my toes. (I haven't been diagnosed because I just can't be bothered finding out there's something else wrong!) My toe only hurts sometimes (after Argentine tango), which is why I haven't yet been to my GP.

According to Google, if the cyst is removed, it will come back. That's bad enough but the risk of infection seems high, plus it can be difficult to close the wound in the first place. This is another reason I haven't gone to my GP.

I just wondered if anyone has one of these cysts and, if so, did you have it treated?

It makes sense to have your self-diagnosis confirmed. Lumps and bumps shouldn't just be left.

Once diagnosed, if it is a cyst, like a ganglion (my understanding is this is the sort of cyst it would be, if muco-cuntaneous), it could be possible to drain it for you, which might not be a forever solution, but it could relieve your discomfort and likely to be less likely to become infected.

I have had a couple of ganglia surgically removed from my right wrist as their location was causing tingling in my thumb. I have periodic recurrences, but, thankfully no recurrence of the tingling. These days as and when they appear again they sort of fill up, over a period, then burst. When they burst, there is no open wound, as my body merely resorbs the gel-like filling.

If you haven't had your cyst long, perhaps it will resolve itself anyway, but I really would urge you to have to looked at.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies.

It was actually my chiropodist (non NHS) who found it. When she pointed to it and asked how long I'd had it, I couldn't see anything and had to bend right over before I could see the lump. I know it wasn't there, about a month before, when I cut my toenails. I didn't feel any pain till she pressed on it. She did pierce it and some clear liquid came out but she didn't know exactly what it was.

At first she thought it was a small growth of bone, but knew it wasn't when the liquid came out. She told me to keep an eye on it and see GP if it became red and inflamed.

I resorted to Google to see if I could find out what it was likely to be and it is in the correct place for a muco cutaneous cyst.

I will go to my GP but will wait till I come back from a break in Oxford.

Thanks again!