My hbac1 reading

Mrkmtchll2512

Had my 2nd blood test done on 12th February and my reading went up , 2 weeks ago it was hbac1 49 then on 12th hbac1 50 to speak to the diabetic nurse but can't have an appointment until 28th February so not sure what to expect

Reactions: Paul41

Keith Saunders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat the food I used to.
Had my 2nd blood test done on 12th February and my reading went up , 2 weeks ago it was hbac1 49 then on 12th hbac1 50 to speak to the diabetic nurse but can't have an appointment until 28th February so not sure what to expect
I was diagnosed in November/December last year. My first reading was 55, my second 56, and I didn't get to see my DN until about 3 weeks following the second reading.

Your numbers are very low (as were mine) but I didn't wait to see the nurse. I crash dieted by dumping virtually all my carbs - bread, pasta, rice, cereal; both white and wholemeal. Stopped taking sugar in hot drinks. Cut back on so much else. Started exercising (I have been rather sedentary for years).

I've now got rid of over 2stone of weight, lost a number of inches around my waist, and regularly testing my Blood Glucose with an average of around 5.8 (would of been an average of around 9 previously using the calculator on this website).

You got this!

mouseee

Hba1c is the average of the blood sugar over three months which is the life span of blood cells. Its also heavily weighted towards the last few weeks. Its more technical than that but thats enough to understand it generally.
Having only two weeks between the blood tests you were unlikely to see a huge improvement.
Also, T2 is diagnosed at 48 so you are only just in the range even with an increase of 1.
You can make changes before your appt, take a look around the forum for ideas for reducing carbs. Simplest would be to reduce sugar and processed carbs although bear in mind that all carbs, whatever colour turn to glucose.