MY PROGRESS! LCHF and IF vs Eat Well Plate...8lbs lost

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks again for the further tips and advice

Wow Kyi - fantastic losing 20lbs and I agree 1-2lbs a week is a good aim...more likely to keep it off that way I've heard. What did your GP/nurse make of your loss and drops in Hb1Ac?...I ask mainly because the leaflet I got advised the eat well plate!..,so going off what you and others have said and what I researched myself I'm so glad I chose not to follow it! It was similar to how I was eating anyway so I felt I needed a change to make a difference.

My sugar levels weren't given to me as a %....it was something else....42.1 mmol (?or something similar?) and I should aim for getting to down to around 31 the nurse said...but she also said when I see the diabetes nurse next time she'll be able explain everything better...but that's still 7 weeks away so I'm considering trying to get an appointment earlier.

I'll try asking for a meter too...although I'm not sure they'll do that at my surgery...I think only once diabetic maybe...like many other areas of healthcare...seems to be less focus on prevention! If that's the case I'll probably end up getting my own...just a little daunting still testing myself...I'm sure I'd get used to it though.

I'll be on the hunt for that low carb chocolate haha!! I'm lucky to live in an area with all the major supermarkets nearby so I'll be looking out for new things to try as the weeks go by!

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Mince...I was paying a fortune for less than 5% whilst following SW. I've tried Asda's frozen mince this week which I think was 12% and it's much cheaper and lovely!...not really fatty but not really lean. Could do with finding a good local butcher though!
Made a 'lasagne' last night with aubergine layers instead of pasta and it was so nice!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seltzer water is just carbonated water with a 'flavor' essence or it comes plain. It settles the tummy too if need be. Zero calories zero artificial anything. Just bubbly water. I drink a lot of it

Reactions: 2 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Practically every NHS Dr and weight lost team recommend the Eat well plate. Only when I found this site did I realise what exactly the eat well plate was recommending was pure poison to a diabetic. We do not need more sugar in our bloods we need less. Carbohydrate comes in 2 forms sugar and starch both turn into glucose in our bloods. When I said to my dietician I was not eating carbohydrate she was horrified. She told me I had to eat more. It is complete and utter BS to recommend a diabetic to poison themselves with more sugar. If a normal person wants to eat carbs I have no problem with that they process them better. But I believe carbs are also contributing to high cholesterol not fats. It is really interesting that since cutting out the carbs and eating more fat I am lowering my cholesterol levels. It would seem to suggest I need to do the complete opposite of what I have been told to do. Eating more fat and protein means Im less hungry even though I stick with the 1360 calories the same number I was eating when I was eating more carbohydrates. If your Dr is receptive to carbohydrates then do discuss this with them. My Dr barely listens to me (today she was on the phone while talking to me - madness). She was ecstatic that I had lost weight, reduced cholesterol and reduced my HbA1c reading and just said carry on doing what I was doing. My dietician on the other hand will be interesting because she just does not believe anything I say. I get to visit her on the 30th. Im debating on whether I should just go with her drink diet or whether to stay on the low carb diet.

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Kyi
I'm also so glad I found this site + Dr Fung, DietDoctor, etc...it really does make you think! But it's a worry because so many people will not do anything other than 'doctors orders'....I'm so glad I question pretty much everything and do my own research!
I've found I'm less hungry too and think partly because I'm snacking less and doing the fasting too and also because I'm eating more protein and fat....I've been cutting the fat off everything for years thinking that was best!!
That's so rude of your doctor!! Well done on your achievements! Let us know what your dietician says. What is the drink diet??

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your progress so far. Your result of 42 from the Dr puts you just in the pre diabetic level so the changes you have made so far should have dropped that into the 30's. Its really difficult to change your mindset after years of listening to the professionals. I also do LCHF and IF and like yourself I find it relatively easy to stick to with no cravings. I try and drink lots of water but I still drink diet coke every day and I find it has no effect on my BS.

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done on your progress so far. Your result of 42 from the Dr puts you just in the pre diabetic level so the changes you have made so far should have dropped that into the 30's. Its really difficult to change your mindset after years of listening to the professionals. I also do LCHF and IF and like yourself I find it relatively easy to stick to with no cravings. I try and drink lots of water but I still drink diet coke every day and I find it has no effect on my BS.

Sorry I've only just seen your post!...my notifications do t seem to work on this app!
That's encouraging about hopefully dropping into the 30s...fingers crossed! And I really hope Diet Coke is ok but like you I'm having lots of water.

I was no angel over the Easter hols (my little one got about 12 eggs and it was just too tempting!) but I've kept bread and pasta pretty much out of my diet and really low on potatoes, cous cous etc....struggle more to keep rice out but having wholegrain/wild and smaller portions. Overall I find the IF really easy and I'm getting more and more used to LCHF...gradual steps but getting there!

Yes...the professionals!...my little boy came in from school today with a sticker on that says' 'I ate a heathy meal'...when I asked what it was....a cheese sandwich on a big white bread bun!!!!...followed by a chocolate biscuit!!!!