My resistant starch experiment

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That bodes well for a possible chilled baked potato then. I do miss spuds, if I'm honest.
I think the key is also portion size - make sure you start small ;) and yes I miss my spuds - I miss all carbs actually, I’m not one of those who lose the craving, I crave daily for savoury carbs even after 14 years it’s still a big will power battle for me, sometimes how I get through it is say I can have it if I want it but maybe just not today. I don’t very often give in but it’s difficult at times

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is about testing if cooling and reheating makes a difference, what about cooking enough spag bol for two days, eat it right away the first day (weighed portion of both spag and bol), and the exact same portion the day after?
The results are in. Drum roll please...!

Yesterday I took 220g of uncooked linguine (I had no spaghetti) and cooked it until al dente, and then mixed it with 500g of pasta sauce with minced Aberdeen Angus beef. I ate half of it yesterday, and then refrigerated the other half, and ate that this evening.

PXL_20240221_191158007.PORTRAIT.jpg

I ate the freshly-made meal at 7pm yesterday:

freshpasta.jpg

And this evening I ate the refrigerated, reheated meal at 7:15pm:

reheated.jpg

The fresh pasta seemed to affect a slightly steeper rise that the reheated one. But neither seemed to be too bad on the face of it.

Taste wise, the reheated one tasted a bit better.

I'm not quite sure what conclusions to draw from this.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hit the 'informative' rating for informing us and doing the experiment. (The meal looks lovely by the way, and if I could eat that and get your graph I'd be in, no matter if it took reheating, freezing, or standing on my head while singing the national anthem of a country of choice.)
I'm not quite sure what conclusions to draw from this.
Otherwise, I agree, no obvious conclusions.
It looks like the fresh one took you slightly higher but the reheated one took slightly longer to come down. The difference is so small that it could have been caused by the colour of your socks as well as by the cooling and reheating of your pasta.

If I were a T2, and if this were my graph, I'd be very happy my diabetes seems to be doing very well, and I'd be very wary of getting complacent and believing I could deal with carby meals again.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hit the 'informative' rating for informing us and doing the experiment. (The meal looks lovely by the way, and if I could eat that and get your graph I'd be in, no matter if it took reheating, freezing, or standing on my head while singing the national anthem of a country of choice.)

Otherwise, I agree, no obvious conclusions.
It looks like the fresh one took you slightly higher but the reheated one took slightly longer to come down. The difference is so small that it could have been caused by the colour of your socks as well as by the cooling and reheating of your pasta.

If I were a T2, and if this were my graph, I'd be very happy my diabetes seems to be doing very well, and I'd be very wary of getting complacent and believing I could deal with carby meals again.
Thank you. The sauce was nice, the pasta not so much.

I'm glad you don't draw any definite conclusions either. I was wearing mid-blue socks.

For myself, I'm just wondering if I've become more insulin sensitive lately. I know I've been trying: losing weight, keeping my insulin low, and avoiding seed oils, for example. But I'm in no way becoming complacent.

My HbA1c may have come down, but I'll always be a diabetic-in-waiting. And I don't want it to go back up.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wearing mid-blue socks.
The same ones on both days or were they perhaps a different length, or a slightly different colour due to washing? Depending on your activities, the colour may have slightly changed from yesterday (especially if your garden is as muddy as mine).
Don't rule out anything!
For myself, I'm just wondering if I've become more insulin sensitive lately. I know I've been trying: losing weight, keeping my insulin low, and avoiding seed oils, for example. But I'm in no way becoming complacent.

My HbA1c may have come down, but I'll always be a diabetic-in-waiting. And I don't want it to go back up.
Way to go!
But it looks like a carby treat once in a while is a possibility, as long as it's a treat. :)

• Funny
Reactions: jjraak and jpscloud

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The same ones on both days or were they perhaps a different length, or a slightly different colour due to washing? Depending on your activities, the colour may have slightly changed from yesterday (especially if your garden is as muddy as mine).
Don't rule out anything!
Orange ones yesterday, blue today.
Way to go!
But it looks like a carby treat once in a while is a possibility, as long as it's a treat. :)
I'll get another loaf of artisan sourdough this week. I've been getting about one a month, and freezing it. It makes a lovely bacon sarnie. No complacency allowed.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd just have the sauce over either cabbage cut into ribbons, or on its own...
I want a spiralizer!
I was wearing mid-blue socks.
I think the sock colour made my knee hurt. The orange ones made it hurt a bit more. I therefore conclude that I should avoid blue and orange socks.

But seriously, my left knee used to hurt a bit, and then stopped hurting. It flares up from time to time, but I couldn't pin down the cause. So I'm blaming the pasta of the last few days. I think I should avoid, or severely limit it.

Paul41

Cheers @IanBish

Interesting experiment.

Not using cgm just a meter here, but it's helped get me into safer areas of BG successfully.

Haven't tried a cgm, & honestly don't think I could justify the cost versus what the meter can do for me...

But I have to admit seeing that constant monitoring is informative.

Look forward to seeing more of this if you try again.

On a side note..
The food was probably as nice as it was before, I just wonder if the lower carbs has the effect of improving our taste buds or simply weaning us off that sugary taste so many things now have.

So much so it spoils the flavour of old favourites.?

Cheers for posting.

Abbot are still offering a free 14 day trial of their Libre sensor . You can actually learn a great deal in that time.

Beware though they are addictive
I buy one occasionally as a treat .

• Friendly
Reactions: jpscloud and jjraak

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Cheers @IanBish

Interesting experiment.

Not using cgm just a meter here, but it's helped get me into safer areas of BG successfully.

Haven't tried a cgm, & honestly don't think I could justify the cost versus what the meter can do for me...

But I have to admit seeing that constant monitoring is informative.

Look forward to seeing more of this if you try again.

On a side note..
The food was probably as nice as it was before, I just wonder if the lower carbs has the effect of improving our taste buds or simply weaning us off that sugary taste so many things now have.

So much so it spoils the flavour of old favourites.?

Cheers for posting.
YES!!! haha at least for myself the absence of carbs and sugar has definitely changed my taste buds without a doubt! I wonder if that's what happens in reverse with smokers who quit as my late husband always swore that food suddenly tasted so much better?

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and jpscloud