my results and thinking about lantus

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just got some test results today.

Firstly I was expecting to get the worst hbA1c result in a long time as my meter tells me my hbA1c is estimated at 9.1% in the last 60 days. Well the result I got today was 7.2% which was only .1 more than my last one. I already know my endo doesn't seem to mind this figure. He thinks because of my overall health that my hbA1c is actually quite good. I personally would like to see an improvement but it is rather tricky with being sick and managing pain levels. But I think my hbA1c may have answered my question about night time hypos... I must be getting more hypos than I've picked up as my day numbers certainly are higher than usual in the last 60 days as I've had infections, etc. So I'm going to speak to my endo again when I see him in October about splitting Lantus dose again. I asked him before and he said he didn't want me to do this. But I'm thinking if others can do it and get good results then it may be worth a shot. What do others think... especially if you do split your lantus?

I also got my cholesterol result and it wasn't good. So I've been placed on a low dose of lipitor. I already have aches and pains in my muscles anyhow from my other drugs so when that was mentioned as a side effect I thought well it's nothing new for me. But if it can help get my level down I'd be happy with that. I'm going to get my liver and muscle function checked in about 3 weeks to see what effect the drug has had. I'm fortunate to have not been on statins before really as the rest of my family that suffers from high cholesterol have been on it for years. My diet is tricky and I've had to eliminate a lot of healthy things... so the doc I saw today (mine is away) is of the opinion that because of my situation I'm better off getting some help to lower the cholesterol.

On a good note... my liver and kidney function is fine. phew.

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
Hi Mep, there's growing evidence that LOW cholesterol is BAD and HIGH is better. I've been off statins for a while and feel a great deal better when combined with my LCHF lifestyle. You need to do your own research before you decide what's best for you, and here's a good place to start http://bit.ly/2awCnJk

I noticed you suffer from a lot of other problems and some of these I've seen associated with a high carb/sugar intake. Are you following a Low-Carb, High-Fat (LCHF) lifestyle?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mep, there's growing evidence that LOW cholesterol is BAD and HIGH is better. I've been off statins for a while and feel a great deal better when combined with my LCHF lifestyle. You need to do your own research before you decide what's best for you, and here's a good place to start http://bit.ly/2awCnJk

I noticed you suffer from a lot of other problems and some of these I've seen associated with a high carb/sugar intake. Are you following a Low-Carb, High-Fat (LCHF) lifestyle?

No, I'm not following the LCHF as I tried it in the past and got high cholesterol readings.

I will no longer follow that diet and the reason is that all the people with heart disease in my family also happen to have high cholesterol. I'm not willing to risk keeping my cholesterol high for that reason. Eg. my dad died of a heart attack. I'd rather try and keep my cholesterol at a safe level if I can.

Also even if I tried to go back to that diet just to give it another go, I can't eat a lot of foods anymore. Eg. bacon is off the list along with steaks, etc. I have a hard time these days eating things like nuts as my throat doesn't move the same as a normal persons throat moves so I tend to choke easily. There's a lot I've eliminated from my diet.

Thanks anyhow.... and I'm glad to hear it works well for you. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I'm going to speak to my endo again when I see him in October about splitting Lantus dose again. I asked him before and he said he didn't want me to do this. But I'm thinking if others can do it and get good results then it may be worth a shot. What do others think... especially if you do split your lantus?

No harm in asking, there are members on the forum who have split-dosed lantus with some success but they have type 1, can't say I've read any posts from those who have type 2.

As a suggestion you could try moving your lantus dose to earlier in the day (if you currently take your injection before bed) to see if this helps with the night-time hypo's, but the obvious advice is to reduce the basal dose but if you've tried that already then adjusting the timing can work in some cases, run the suggestion by your diabetes team to see what they think before going ahead.

Reactions: 2 people