New application for Ozempic, Wegovy and Mounjaro

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it has been announced today that these weight loss medications can now be used as a prophylactic for those at risk of heart attack or stroke. This is following a study done by the manufacturers that showed that these meds substantially reduced the risks of cardiovascular events in a non diabetic cohort. (i.e. the general public)

This is on top of the news that Eli Lilly reported record annual profits and their AGM was told it was largely due to sales of weight loss drugs especially Tirpezide.

I see the Ozempic boat sailing away from diabetes land and into the never never.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand the test subjects (for the manufacturer's study) were non-diabetic, overweight or obese (according to BMI anyway), and with a clinical history of heart problems.

It feels to me as if they've decided to follow the statins bandwagon and pick up some of that income. Not enough money in diabetes, maybe.

Reactions: Outlier and Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The study was called SUSTAIN-6 apparently

The study was stated as being funded by Novo Nordisk (
"(Funded by Novo Nordisk; SUSTAIN-6 ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01720446 .)."

The actual differences between the test vs placeno groups was actually less than 1% but this is apparently SIGNIFICANT.when converted to Relative Risk.

The people tested in the study were T2D with pre-existing cardiovascular problems and also in many cases kidney issues too before the trial started. so it was a car crash waiting to happen.

This is similar to the Actos drug trial that established that the drug did not cause any adverrse outcomes, since the ones that did suffer stroke or heart attack during the trial were deemed natural events, since all the test subjects were already established patients in an old peoples hospice. We now know that Actos is associated with an incresed risk of stroke or CVD, which why Avandia and another glitizone drug from that familiy were banned, and Actos is restricted in the rest of the world, (but is not restricted in the UK)

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The study was called SUSTAIN-6 apparently

The study was stated as being funded by Novo Nordisk (
"(Funded by Novo Nordisk; SUSTAIN-6 ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01720446 .)."

The actual differences between the test vs placeno groups was actually less than 1% but this is apparently SIGNIFICANT.when converted to Relative Risk.

The people tested in the study were T2D with pre-existing cardiovascular problems and also in many cases kidney issues too before the trial started. so it was a car crash waiting to happen.

This is similar to the Actos drug trial that established that the drug did not cause any adverrse outcomes, since the ones that did suffer stroke or heart attack during the trial were deemed natural events, since all the test subjects were already established patients in an old peoples hospice. We now know that Actos is associated with an incresed risk of stroke or CVD, which why Avandia and another glitizone drug from that familiy were banned, and Actos is restricted in the rest of the world, (but is not restricted in the UK)
I think we're talking about the same study but the media reports I'm reading say very definitely that none of the subjects had T2D.

Do your sources say differently?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we're talking about the same study but the media reports I'm reading say very definitely that none of the subjects had T2D.

Do your sources say differently?
My source was CNN earlier on this day. They may have got it wrong in that respect, Certainly I could not find a study covering all 3 treatmens that they listed. Sustain is only Ozempic, not wegovy or mounjaro.

Of course Mounjaro (tirepezide) is made by Eli Lilly not Novo Nordisk, and is still undergoing FDA acceptance for diabetes use, I am not aware of a weight loss use licence either for it, but it is in the works

That is why my OP has no link. It was a discusion in the newsfeed, and not a prepared interview, so is obviously breaking news. BBC hs not picked it up either.

It just arrived on the CNN website this second.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as the Wegovy/Novo Nordisk trial goes both the BBC (earlier link) and the Telegraph are saying "no diabetes" for the participants. The text in both reports is almost identical so it looks like a direct lift from a press release.

Ah - the CNN link you've just posted says participants in the Wegovy trial "didn't have diabetes".

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is also a trial called Select whereas the Ozempic trials were called Sustain.
Whats in a name? => MONEY.