New Hairy Dieters Book

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Hairy Dieters have brought out a new book, The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life
The amazon site has a 'look inside' facility. I have the book and it looks to have some very good recipes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hairy-Diete ... t+for+life

As with their first book in this series, some of these dishes are easily made diabetic friendly.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didnt know they had a new book! I love the first, I don't need to diet but they're dishes are all around healthy which is perfect for maintaining a good weight and healthy lifestyle

H

Hooked

I want to get this book, the food looks lush! I've been asking on their facebook page if they would include carb content of recipes as well as the cals, but haven't got an answer as yet.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used some of their recipes from the first book, and their book of curries, and just made low GI substitutions. So for example, for their southern style chicken and prawn jambalaya, I just substituted Morrisons parboiled brown rice.

When you do that, you have to do things a little differently though. In this case, the rice takes a lot longer so you can't just follow the recipe otherwise the rice wouldn't be cooked. I would cook the rice beforehandfor 20 mins rather than 25 mins, and then add it. It's quite a chewy rice anyway so leaving it in for another 10 mins doesn't overcook it. It's a little chewier, but I like that anyway.

It is thanks to the Hairy Bikers that I got interested in cooking. Sadly, I can only look at their book of perfect pies. They are off limits for me. Their book on curries tough is good and easilya adapted too. Last weekend I was making my first wholewheat rotis. Very tasty and no spikes. But, I had to buy proper wholewheat flour. This weekend I shall have a go at wholewheat parathas. The rotis were way better than anything I ever bought that came in a plastic bag.

See Manjulas Kitchen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_Lmy6bU

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Second to Rick Stein for my fav tv cooks. Enjoyed the Hairy Dieters series last year and was impressed with the weight they lost, did Dave and Si manage to keep the it off?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
Second to Rick Stein for my fav tv cooks. Enjoyed the Hairy Dieters series last year and was impressed with the weight they lost, did Dave and Si manage to keep the it off?

According to the new book, yes they did. I also saw them on stage a couple of months ago and they looked in pretty good shape.

They were confident enough to strip off!

H

Hooked

Yorksman said:
noblehead said:

According to the new book, yes they did. I also saw them on stage a couple of months ago and they looked in pretty good shape.

They were confident enough to strip off!

Yes both still looking pretty trim!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

According to the new book, yes they did. I also saw them on stage a couple of months ago and they looked in pretty good shape. They were confident enough to strip off![/quote]

Give them their due...... they are game for a laugh :lol:

TBH I didn't care much for them when they first came on tv, however now I think they are great and highly entertaining, hope the book goes to the No 1 spot like the last one :thumbup:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
Give them their due...... they are game for a laugh :lol:

Especially as they shuffled sideways off stage, Si King using his M/C helmet to cover his privates with a 'MAY CONTAIN NUTS' sticker.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hornplayer said:
Hadn't heard of this one, will take a look. Which book would you recommend, one or two?

Book 2 is being sold at WH Smiths at the moment half price, so I'd go for that.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
I have never bought one of the Hairy Dieters cookbooks but admit they do look interesting. Are some of the recipes suitable for low carbing?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
diadeb said:
I have never bought one of the Hairy Dieters cookbooks but admit they do look interesting. Are some of the recipes suitable for low carbing?

Some are OK as is, but others are easily adapted. It depends on how many carbs you normally eat. I tend to eat brown rice so that is an easy substitution where they use white rice, but some of their recipes are using things like couscous anyway. They also have some interesting ideas, like using a tortilla wrap for a pizza base.