New here, feeling so stressed and confused

Eliza2739

Hi all,

Sorry if this comes across as dramatic. I’ve been checking my own BSL’s at home since I started getting heaps of fatigue after eating. I am terrified to go to the doctor before I’ve got my head around things and know where I stand.

My fastings have been 5.2-5.7mmol/L

My post meals have been 5.3-8.4, vast majority sit around the 6.4 after 2 hours. The 8.4 meals are after I’ve had something like a bowl of pasta and chocolate.
I’m confused about where I stand,we expect non-diabetics to have rises up to 10mmol/L in the GTT test, however I’ve read that any post prandial increase over 7.4 signifies pre-diabetes?
Can I fix this?

Also, on another forum I read that those levels already signify damage to the pancreatic cells which is not fixable, is that true? This is where i feel panicked. I am only 29. My last hba1c was 5.2 but that was 12 months ago.

Had my second baby 12 months ago and have not looked after myself since then, the self-hate is in full swing about this.

I’d love your opinion/stories/reassurance. I know others deal with much worse and I hope this doesn’t come across as too precious.

• Hug
Reactions: Tamarillo

Tamarillo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Intermittent fasting (a minimum of 12 hours overnight) is supposed to help preserve pancreatic beta cells and there is some initial research showing periodic fasting (longer occasional fasts) may actually regenerate them, so likely there are things you can do if you can make it fit your lifestyle. If you introduce any kind of fasting, in my opinion, you need to eat more nutrient dense foods at the times you do eat.
You may need to eat lower carb to lower those glucose spikes and restore some insulin sensitivity.
It wouldn't hurt to visit the doctor to get a Hba1c, insulin etc tests (or whatever they check) just so you have a baseline. Don't feel any shame over being prediabetic. There are all kinds of ways people end up there and a doctor should be very supportive of a patient who's done some homework and is willing to work to resolve issues.
Feeling tired after you eat is not good...especially as you have the demands of small children !!! You'll feel SO much better once you take control of this.

Eliza2739

Hey
Intermittent fasting (a minimum of 12 hours overnight) is supposed to help preserve pancreatic beta cells and there is some initial research showing periodic fasting (longer occasional fasts) may actually regenerate them, so likely there are things you can do if you can make it fit your lifestyle. If you introduce any kind of fasting, in my opinion, you need to eat more nutrient dense foods at the times you do eat.
You may need to eat lower carb to lower those glucose spikes and restore some insulin sensitivity.
It wouldn't hurt to visit the doctor to get a Hba1c, insulin etc tests (or whatever they check) just so you have a baseline. Don't feel any shame over being prediabetic. There are all kinds of ways people end up there and a doctor should be very supportive of a patient who's done some homework and is willing to work to resolve issues.
Feeling tired after you eat is not good...especially as you have the demands of small children !!! You'll feel SO much better once you take control of this.
Hey, thanks so much for your supportive response. I have definitely started making big changes, reducing carbs and increasing veg. Need to work on exercise!
I am already feeling NO fatigue after eating, in comparison to 3 weeks ago when I felt as though I needed to lie down straight away. I naturally fast for 12-14 hours daily but I’ll definitely be looking into longer fasts, I still breastfeed so also have to be conscious of that.
I really appreciate your response!