New regime of Gliciazide & steroids (Entecort) since diagnosed.

jomar_uk

Well some 4 months ago was officially diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes T2 whilst in hospital with yet another pesky Crohns flare up (5th in as many months).

Today was my very last Entecort steroid (been on a reducing dosage system past 3 months).

I’m told that I must also stop my gliciazide as to stay on them with no steroid now my blood glucose *could* plummet and possibly cause hypos (I am grateful I have never had one).

Has anyone in here been through this please? I do trust my teams but found a lot of advice in here I needed but for whatever reason never was told about it.

Thanks in advance, Kind regards, JoMar

jomar_uk

Update:

When steroids were finished defining had to stop the gliciazide or certain hypo.
Being looked after very well by both my team’s dietitians, Crohns & diabetes.

Makes me feel more confident when they come to a consensus on my weird dietary needs.

jomar_uk

Ok totally confused now, help needed!

I’m back in hospital with major Crohns flare.

Medication for Crohn’s
9mg Entecort steroid and 40mg glicazude gives BGS of 14

Previously on my earlier flare I was in the same 9mg Entecort steroids with 80mg glizcZide + 2 x 500mg Metformin (my readings then between 5.2 and 6.x)

Surely with *less* diabetes meds my BGS will go up! It’s logical surely? My food identical as in hospital being closely monitored it just seems obvious to me why readings up?
Or have I lost it completely??

Thanks a confused JoMar

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you are back in hospital @jomar_uk, I can see your predicament and you may be correct in your assumption about the meds. Don’t really want to comment on anything as we can’t give medical advice and wouldn’t want to advise anyway on the diabetes on its own as your conditions are very complex

Could you possibly speak to either your Crohns team or your diabetes team to get some clarification and ask them why your meds are different from last time? They may have a valid reason for this, could you request that they review it and explain your reason why.

In your past posts you’ve said you have great teams for both conditions so I’m sure you will have the confidence to ask for an explanation.

Hope you’re soon on the mend and out of hospital soon

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok totally confused now, help needed!

I’m back in hospital with major Crohns flare.

Medication for Crohn’s
9mg Entecort steroid and 40mg glicazude gives BGS of 14

Previously on my earlier flare I was in the same 9mg Entecort steroids with 80mg glizcZide + 2 x 500mg Metformin (my readings then between 5.2 and 6.x)

Surely with *less* diabetes meds my BGS will go up! It’s logical surely? My food identical as in hospital being closely monitored it just seems obvious to me why readings up?
Or have I lost it completely??

Thanks a confused JoMar
Maybe they're taking it easy on the glic for fear of gastro-intestinal side effects? I'm with @lovinglife, you have people to fall back on who know what choices are being made, and why. You're entitled to answers and input.

Now, I know this is a rather big thing to bring up, but with the frequent flares, has anyone mentioned a temporary colostomy bag? A long, long time ago I had a friend from Louisiana visiting the Netherlands,(I don't remember if it was Colitis Ulcerosa or Crohns) and I know how much trouble those bags can be. He didn't take care of himself well, and they tended to rupture when he'd left them undrained too long. Being in denial clearly didn't work! Been up to my elbows in sh*t, washing out his pants, as in his world that was a woman's job. ;) But it did mean he had less pain than he had before, and was well enough to travel halfway across the world. Similarly, a colleague of my husband's went to all sorts of alternative healers/faith healers while passing out with pain/blood loss almost regularly, and he kept that up for years because a baggy scared him. And when he finally went for a bag, his life changed completely. He's a fully functioning employee now and he's gotten promotions that were out of reach due to his former unreliability. (You never knew whether he would show up for work, but they never let him go because he was a good guy. He was with the company for over 15 years or so when he got the surgery about 10 years ago).

My friend from Louisiana suffered from a deep depression, and his inability to accept the bag was something he, due to the severity of his ulcers, was going to have to live with, well... It did make his physical life better, but mentally it didn't help. Which was part due to his stubborn outlook on what men should be: practically invincible and never ever ill or vulnerable in any way. He was a bit of an a-hole and a caveman, but I loved him anyway. On the other hand there's the colleague who got relief from constant pain and bleeds, and got a life where he could function, play with his kids, keep his job and thrive there.

I know with Crohns, it's not a forgone conclusion as it usually is with ulcers, but with diabetes complicating things, and this coming up so often, maybe it could be a solution? Just to give your insides a break for a while, not a permanent fixture? Again, I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about, I just saw what a baggy meant to different people. For them it was a permanent thing, so I think they didn't have Crohns but both of them colitis, but who knows. I can't ask Jeremy, he passed a few years ago, (unrelated illness) and I'm not about to ask someone I've only met a few times a personal question.

I wish I could have something proper on offer. All I know about is diabetes, but you have such a severe co-morbidity, it does need to take precedence. Maybe it's something to talk about with your team, maybe not, and maybe they'll have a thousand different solutions someone whose only experience was washing sh*tty pants, would never come up with.

Talk to them, ask questions about the current state of affairs and about your future. Who knows what they'll come up with. Maybe an insulin pump would work better than meds? Maybe this, maybe that... They might know, because most of us here won't.
Hugs,
Jo

jomar_uk

When my health is good enough the affected small Bowel structures & part ? If the large bowel will be going for a bag so not a problem. It’s a case of a prolonged spell of being well enough for the procedures, obviously if an emergency arise there is no option but to go ahead.
Unfortunately I have quite a few medical conditions they balance out.

Your inputs (both of you) is greatly appreciated!

To give you some idea I’m known here by my Christian name I’m here so frequently and being taken care of.

Btw it was 4.7 on waking today, it’s just this has been in and off (Crohns etc not the diabetes)for many years and my teams/staff are great, it’s just I get a tad down with regular flare ups together honest.

My special injection ordered today (probably going to double dose or weekly now as my antibodies building up again :)

Just having you kind and encouraging comments on here is almost as good as the medicines:))

Thank you both/all so much.

Kind regards, JoMar

Ps my big multi disciplinary meeting held later on today with all teams involved in told.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my health is good enough the affected small Bowel structures & part ? If the large bowel will be going for a bag so not a problem. It’s a case of a prolonged spell of being well enough for the procedures, obviously if an emergency arise there is no option but to go ahead.
Unfortunately I have quite a few medical conditions they balance out.

Your inputs (both of you) is greatly appreciated!

To give you some idea I’m known here by my Christian name I’m here so frequently and being taken care of.

Btw it was 4.7 on waking today, it’s just this has been in and off (Crohns etc not the diabetes)for many years and my teams/staff are great, it’s just I get a tad down with regular flare ups together honest.

My special injection ordered today (probably going to double dose or weekly now as my antibodies building up again :)

Just having you kind and encouraging comments on here is almost as good as the medicines:))

Thank you both/all so much.

Kind regards, JoMar

Ps my big multi disciplinary meeting held later on today with all teams involved in told.

I hope the meeting'll turn up some helpful answers. Hang in there, and just want to say, you've got an amazing backbone on you, keeping you straight when others would crumble.
Jo

jomar_uk

Ok they have meet!

The diabetes is to be secondary (they are not worried about it as mine is controllable by meds and this is my optimum dose).

My Crohn’s as they said before is the primary concern especially with the strictures complications.

Dietician instructed to prepare diet to regain my weight and not to be concerned about carbs etc.

This is is the final decision of the multiple disciplinary meeting and I’m happy to go along with their conclusions. They are all Consultants and I would be most unwise to ignore them.

Your support in here has been amazing, thank you so much.

I’ll probably ask the rare silly questions so apologies in advance. JoMar

Kind regards & deep gratitude JoMar

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the update @jomar_uk

I agree you need to listen to your team, this is far too complicated for anyone on here to pass comments what you are eating carb wise etc, sometimes things have to take a back seat or be treated holistically. You need to do what you need to do to get well.

Hope you are on the mend soon

jomar_uk

IMG_3455.jpg

Just to say I really appreciated all your kindness & support when I was in hospital, greatly appreciated and kept my spirits up!

My Siamese was very pleased to have me home also:)

Kind regards, JoMar

• Friendly
Reactions: MrsA2 and Antje77