Newly Diagnosed

Lee Terence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i have been at the hospital from 7am and only just got home, been told im type 2 dibetic, my bloodsugar was a staggered 32.2 and now droped to 16.
i know its amazing still high but i havent eaten all day, i have fish in my fridge, what can i have with fish not to incressed my bloodsuger please?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i have been at the hospital from 7am and only just got home, been told im type 2 dibetic, my bloodsugar was a staggered 32.2 and now droped to 16.
i know its amazing still high but i havent eaten all day, i have fish in my fridge, what can i have with fish not to incressed my bloodsuger please?
Best to stick with green veg or salad. Have cheese for afters.

And don't panic, it's taken a long time for diabetes to get to you, and it will take a while to get back in control.
Breathe
Read around and ask any questions you may have

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lee. Sounds like a rough day. This blog by one of the members here, @JoKalsbeek, set me on the path to quite quickly improving my blood glucose through diet - https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Depending on what type of fish you have, eggs might go well with it. Beyond that, I have fish with brocolli and mushrooms regularly. Most veg grown above ground is pretty safe, just avoid the below ground ones for now.

Any other questions, concerns or worries, just shout. There's almost always someone here who's been through it too!

Paul41

Hi mate, I hope you are feeling a bit better by now.
I thought I’d just give a few words of encouragement. Without doubt 90% of us felt like you. It’s a shock and bewildering as to what to do, I know that’s how I was in September ( I’m pre diabetic)

Anyway , take stock and make a plan of action and you’ll be surprised how quickly you make progress.

Good luck

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you mrsA2 and Paul for your help and advice, the link you sent me Paul did help me understand a little more especially with the diet side things.
Hang in there, Lee. It gets easier. How you feeling now?

Like you, at first I just wanted to reduce my blood glucose levels as fast as I could. I was experiencing some diabetic symptoms that were impacting my quality of life, mainly sleep deprivation and being able to maintain normal routines, so I went strict keto (20g carbs per day max) very quickly after diagnosis. It worked, my blood glucose fingerprick readings started reducing steadily from 17.9 at their highest when diagnosed, down to under 10 in around 4 weeks. Day on day, week on week, they came down. However, reducing carbs as quickly/suddenly caused some side effects, mainly wonky eyesight and keto "flu" (foggy head, feeling a bit rough etc). These side effects passed in about 3-4 weeks and my diabetic symptoms subsided significantly (going completely within 6 weeks).

Have you been started on any medications at all? Some diabetes medications can cause some issues if you're reducing carb intake, so you'll need to work with your doctor to modify dosages if needed.