NICE reviewing the integrated sensor pumps with a publication date of January 2016

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whilst reviewing NICE guidelines for Diabetes care. I stumbled upon an interesting technology appraisal that's underway. The nattily named
Type 1 diabetes: Integrated sensor-augmented pump therapy systems for managing blood glucose levels (The MiniMed Paradigm Veo System and the Vibe and G4 PLATINUM CGM system

What's probably most telling about this is that the systems they've named in the title are the out of date versions (note that the Minimed 640G is clearly a very different kettle of fish) and that in the notes, the stakeholder manufacturers are Medtronic, Dexcom, and Animas only. Roche, Omnipod and Cellnovo are not participating suggesting their systems are still very much in the future.

Nothing published as yet, but one to keep an eye on I think...

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On this topic, there's been an interesting discussion on Facebook following my blogging about the CGM/Pump costs benefit analysis. Apparently the Animas Vibe and Medtronic 640g are both capable of having their software upgraded to AP software (Dreamed Glucositter in the case of Medtronic), and there is advice coming from senior people potentially involved in this study that these are the best pumps to go for as they will get AP capabilities "in the next couple of years".

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm interested - and relieved - to read that. I just chose to replace my pump with a Vibe rather than the 640g and was worrying that i might regret it as I'd read previously that the 640g was the one to go for as only it would be able to have such an upgrade.

It'd be great if both of those were capable :)

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested - and relieved - to read that. I just chose to replace my pump with a Vibe rather than the 640g and was worrying that i might regret it as I'd read previously that the 640g was the one to go for as only it would be able to have such an upgrade.

It'd be great if both of those were capable :)

I was in a similar quandary!

Trialed the vibe, but as a standalone pump much preferred the 640g. If I was CGMing full time it would have been the vibe, but as I'm only going to CGM now and again I went with the 640g. Took me almost two months to make my mind up haha.

Few user reports of enlite accuracy being on par with the dex, enlite sensors being able to be restarted and people averaging 12 days. It was this that pushed me towards the 640g in the end.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've taken longer than two months : D It's hard, isn't it?

I can't afford CGM at the moment so that didn't come into my reckoning sadly. I'm sure we'll both be happy with our pumps :) And this is good news for us both. I'm hoping we'll hear some more details soon. It sounds very interesting :cool: