No pump for me!

Fern Hopper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cake.
Saw consultant endocrinologist yesterday. I am not going to get an NHS pump because I am too well controlled and far too fit. I wonder if there is any incentive for managing my diabetes as well as I have for 57 years?
My BMI is 21.8. HbA1c is 37. Tight control. Blood pressure low. Resting heart rate of 42. Cholesterol levels excellent.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You could say that you're just too healthy. But then, that's also a good thing too!

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder if there is any incentive for managing my diabetes as well as I have for 57 years?
I would say so - a healthy body and an ability to continue your life without problems.
That far outweighs having an insulin pump.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I believe there are some funding issues with pumps supply, I am aware locally this is an issue as the NHS has been keen to get more insulin dependent diabetics onto pumps following Partha Kar's advice, however the pot has run dry in some trusts now.

In your shoes I would simply keep pushing as tight control = micro management which can affect your quality of life and is a good strong case for pump therapy, also regardless of circumstances or funding, keep on at your team as those that shout the loudest tend to get heard.