Not sure if this is the right place

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Well, it does say exercise. I have got a sore foot. Will explain.

I am obese and am trying to get my arsium into gear by doing a regular bit of walking. Now for varying reasons which include agoraphobia, I struggled to get out and about before. I always managed somehow but it was a very unpleasant experience, I have been dealing with that and now try and look forward to getting a gentle walk.

The side of my right foot always causes me problems and is making it difficult to walk. It is the outside, about half way down the foot and the only way I can describe it is like someone is squeezing both sides of my foot together causing a painful burning feeling. I usually stop for a minute and try and stretch the foot but I walk about a couple of hundered metres and it comes back. I know the obvious answer is to go to the docs but just wondered if anyone here had come across this before.

I have no neuropathy or foot problems of any kind and I don't think the trainers are squeezing my foot so any idea what this could be?

Thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi ladybird,

You sound reluctant to seek any medical advice but I wonder if being overweight is the problem. It can affect back and knee joints and also feet or could just be that you are new to exercise and it will pass.
If this should carry on then I would ask your G.P. He may refer you to a Podiatrist or an Orthopaedic Consultant. Best to be safe as our feet work hard and carry us wherever we go and we need them to be in tip top shape.

Hope you can resolve the issue and that others may have a solution.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hey ladybird

Great that you're getting out and walking really pleased for you.

Regarding your foot. Does it stop hurting when you take your weight off it and then start up painfully for a bit whenever you first put weight on it then kinda go away but then come back again if you walk for a while. So for example if you wake up in the morning and step out of bed do you end up hopping around the room for a couple of minutes or so?

If you've got that kind of symptom you may have something called Policeman's Heel. It can happen if you damage your foot without realising it. I had it a couple of years ago after I fell off a table (don't ask!). Drove me mad for weeks until my sister-in-law told me what it was. When I went to my gp she looked it up and agreed with sis-in-laws's diagnosis. The cure was to do stretching exercises on the calf muscles in the back of my leg a couple of times a day.

Ibuprofen helped me but the problem can naturally take many months to sort itself out but normally it does it the end.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
xyzzy, you not getting away with that. :D Come on, I'm sure we all would like to know how you fell of the table :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
mistee71 said:
xyzzy, you not getting away with that. :D Come on, I'm sure we all would like to know how you fell of the table :lol:

Simple fell off when changing a light-bulb...

...err no actually that's a lie I use to be a lap-dancer. :shock:

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Oh great.. my imagination is running wild. I am now left with a mental picture of that. :lol: It's ok though coz i'm imagining you as brad pit :thumbup:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
mistee71 said:
i'm imagining you as brad pit :thumbup:

yeah that's about right :wink:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Oh for goodness sake-can you people not lower the tone of my post please? Outrageous behaviour!! Lap dancing, falling off tables-disgraceful!! You would never get me indulging in such irresponsible talk
dry.gif

By the way, did I tell you how I broke my foot on an orange? No? Ah well.. :think: :silent: 8)

Now back to the matter in hand..or foot :***:

It may seem daft for me not to have noticed but I don't have the same trouble indoors so it looks very much like it might be due to the weight. This isn't something that has cropped up recently, it has happened over the past couple of years but I was so sidetracked with other things, I didn't investigate it.
I do get water retention and for ages refused to take any diuretics (I know :oops: ) but take them now and the swelling has gone down. I cannot afford expensive trainers but bought some wide fitting ones from a catalogue. If it is my weight, is there anything I can do to improve the situation? Obviously I am trying to cut down on the grub front and know that some form of exercise is imperative, I like walking but ouch..it happened again today for the entire time I was out. :(

I have always looked after my feet very well, nails and skin care wise so this is a bit disappointing.

Suggestions on a postcard please. Ta muchly. :)

mistee71

Dislikes
xyzzy started it :cry:

I would like to know how you broke your foot on an orange though? :D

you must have an idea of what I'm like by now, :lol: You just gave a dog a bone :p

C

catherinecherub

ladybird64 said:
It may seem daft for me not to have noticed but I don't have the same trouble indoors so it looks very much like it might be due to the weight. This isn't something that has cropped up recently, it has happened over the past couple of years but I was so sidetracked with other things, I didn't investigate it.
I do get water retention and for ages refused to take any diuretics (I know :oops: ) but take them now and the swelling has gone down. I cannot afford expensive trainers but bought some wide fitting ones from a catalogue. If it is my weight, is there anything I can do to improve the situation? Obviously I am trying to cut down on the grub front and know that some form of exercise is imperative, I like walking but ouch..it happened again today for the entire time I was out. :(

I have always looked after my feet very well, nails and skin care wise so this is a bit disappointing.

Suggestions on a postcard please. Ta muchly. :)

Have you thought about investing in some resistance bands? There is a workout here that wouldn't be such a strain on your feet.
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fit ... asp?id=982

Ever tried swimming?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
That looks a good workout with resistance bands. You can start off with a band with a light resistance and then work your way up. I use a green band in my workouts.

Swimming is a great exercise as well. Maybe there is a water aerobics class at a swimming pool near you?

Cheryl

I bought resistance bands to help me recover from a shoulder op. About £5 for 3 different ones in Sports Direct. They work really well; it's amazing what a bit of rubber can do! (not sure if I should be mentioning rubber with the previous posters comments in mind lol)

cteld

I'm not a doctor, so this ain't professional advice, but...sounds like that might be plantar fasciitis. Stretching the foot wouldn't help - most "foot muscles" are actually located in the calf. Try working trigger points in the calf first, then when they are cleared, stretch the calf, both lower and upper calf (this means at least two different stretches). Trigger points are tender spots in muscles when pressed. Take a look at Clair Davies' book - http://www.triggerpointbook.com/ for how to do this. (No, not related to him, nor do I know him, but the book really helped me with various problems, including plantar fasciitis.)

One sign that it's pf is that the arch or heel hurts when you first put weight on it, then eases up with some walking.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I got plantar fasciitis in my left foot in my first year of running, and in my right foot in my second year of running. It took a few months to clear up, but has never come back.

I suspect that I had the wrong shoes...

Defren

xyzzy said:
mistee71 said:

Simple fell off when changing a light-bulb...

...err no actually that's a lie I use to be a lap-dancer. :shock:

That's why I always get in a man who can when I need light bulbs changing. Not only because I don't want to do a swan dive off the table, but also because my fear of heights is beyond irrational and I have very high ceilings. I tremble standing on the front door step. :lol:

Remind me never to ask you to change my light bulbs.