Not type 2 after all

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After 3 years on Metformin and Glicazide my HbA1c is still way too high so they finally did another test and discovered I am type 1. As I'm 68 everyone took it for granted that I'd be type 2. I've had loads of information thrown at me by a variety of nurses trying to fit me into their already crowded schedules. So here I am with bolus and rapid insulin and precious little info on what to do about timing and adjusting the doses. I'm booked on a carb counting course in a couple of months but pretty confused for now. So, my question-

Is there a publication that will give me basic information about when to test, when to inject and how to adjust my dose in relation to blood sugar results and carb intake? (I appreciate that everyone is different so there's no simple table but there's got to be something better than 'If you go over 17 or 18, take 2 units of NovoRapid')

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @snowleopard and welcome to the forum. I'm T2 and don't know anything about T1 and insulin, but I expect some T1s will be along shortly with advice.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com - this is a great course covering the basics of carb counting and insulin adjustments.

You should be testing at least before every meal and before bed, before driving and anytime you feel low or high. In addition, you might want to test 1-2 hours after eating.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to give any advice on target levels or adjusting insulin to someone so newly diagnosed. You should be able to call your DSNs for advice over the next couple of months and certainly over the next couple of weeks, until you get on the carb course (you're lucky to get on it so quickly) and get to grips with it.

Was it a GAD test that confirmed your type 1 status?

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you have had poor support so far. When on Basal/Bolus you should have been given a bit more info than you appear to have had and you need to be keeping your levels below the teens whenever possible. Like @Caterpillar, I'm reluctant to give you specific advice in case there are aspects of your condition we aren't aware of. If you can't get any support from your DSN then come back onto the LADA or T1 forum and ask for more specific advice.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com - this is a great course covering the basics of carb counting and insulin adjustments.

You should be testing at least before every meal and before bed, before driving and anytime you feel low or high. In addition, you might want to test 1-2 hours after eating.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to give any advice on target levels or adjusting insulin to someone so newly diagnosed. You should be able to call your DSNs for advice over the next couple of months and certainly over the next couple of weeks, until you get on the carb course (you're lucky to get on it so quickly) and get to grips with it.

Was it a GAD test that confirmed your type 1 status?

Thanks for the link. Looks like just what I wanted. Not exactly sure what the tests were but Peptides was mentioned.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks to all. I entirely understand reluctance to recommend specific doses but looking forward to reading up on carb/dose adjustment.